My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that these cvars control the behavior of large packets that are fragmented before being sent to the client. net_splitpacket_maxrate limits the rate these fragmented packets are sent out and net_splitrate limits how many of these packets are allowed per client per frame before they start being dropped. Due to the former it seems recommended to set net_splitpacket_maxrate to whatever your sv_maxrate setting is, or to a high value if you have sv_maxrate set to 0 (hence why I set mine to 100000).

I've seen some admins set their net_splitrate to high values like 1024. I don't know if this has a noticable effect or not.

From what I can tell though servers that don't have these properly set will see large gaps in the netgraph similar to Peter's first screenshot. I assume this is because fragmented packets are being dropped.