I was able to get a trace from a Windows server operator that was experiencing
a similar problem.  The problem in that case was that it was spending all of
its time compressing snapshots.  The problem was exacerbated by some process
affinity settings which were counterproductive and putting all the threads on
the same core, while other cores were idle.

Tracking the overall CPU usage can be quite deceiving when investigating "lag".
 Lower CPU usage is not necessarily better!  For example, in this case if the
process affinity were not set and more cores were allowed to be used, then the
CPU usage on this 4-core system would have gone above 25% for a shorter burst,
which would have been preferable to it being pegged at 25% (a single core
saturated for a longer period of time).

I think it is a reasonable guess that his problem is similar to the one you
guys are seeing.  (Of course they could be totally unrelated, so take all this
with a grain of salt.)  But assuming that they are similar problems, there are
two things to investigate.  First, did something change that is doing something
subtly different with process affinity that it wasn't doing before, or is the
process affinity thing totally a config issue with one server?  (Or if anybody
else is tweaking processor affinities, do you fully understand the implications
of it?)  When you are looking at the CPU usage, is the process pegging a single
CPU, or is it pegging at some round fraction like 1/4 or 1/8?  The second thing
to investigate is, what is happening at the high level that is causing the
snapshot data to be so big?  Do network activity spikes correlates with the CPU
spikes?  If that is the case, then we can use -netspike  or other tools that
you guys are probably more familiar with than I am to track down what the
entity data is that is causing all the busywork.

We have very powerful performance analysis tools we can use on Windows to track
these problems down.  I only wish more windows server operators users would get
setup with them!  Please help us help you!  It's not that difficult to get set
up.  Email me directly and I can get you a CD key.
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3059-RTXB-2672