I suggest wrapping your server start-up scripts in "nice", and see if that
helps at all.

For example, if you normally have a start-up like this:

     ./srcds_run -secure -game tf

Just add "nice -n #" in front of it like this:

     nice -n 6 ./srcds_run -secure -game tf

Lower the number, the higher the priority.  However, I would not suggest
setting it lower than like 6-9.