Actually, I think something DID come down during that initial update on the
server-side I had attempted.

On my *test* TF2 server install (not "Beta" just another copy of TF2),
where I ran that update earlier today (which errored-out), the steam.inf
file contains:

PatchVersion=2177902
ClientVersion=2177902
ServerVersion=2191812 <=== With mystery update
ProductName=tf
appID=440

On my *production* TF2 servers, which I have not tried to update today, the
steam.info file contains:

PatchVersion=2177902
ClientVersion=2177902
ServerVersion=2177902 <=== Without mystery update
ProductName=tf
appID=440

So, (presumably) there was at least some change of some kind checked-in
that incremented the ServerVersion (2191812 as opposed to 2177902).