That would be a good explanation for the behavior I've seen. Thanks!

Solution: Move motdfile options to autoexec.cfg

On 6/2/15 18:54, Ross Bemrose wrote:
Is it really new or are you just now noticing it?

Hint: It's the latter.

motdfile and motdfile_text don't take effect until the map change after you set them.

Which means they don't get set for the first map if you set them in server.cfg, because server.cfg gets executed after the map change.

If you want to set them before the first map, you need to do so in autoexec.cfg, the server's startup line, or in a file that you +exec from the startup line (also useful for sv_setsteamaccount).