Job, starting at chapter 37

   {37:1} "Yes, at this my heart trembles,
   and is moved out of its place.
 {37:2} Hear, oh, hear the noise of his voice,
   the sound that goes out of his mouth.
 {37:3} He sends it forth under the whole sky,
   and his lightning to the ends of the earth.
 {37:4} After it a voice roars.
   He thunders with the voice of his majesty.
   He doesn't hold back anything when his voice is heard.
 {37:5} God thunders marvelously with his voice.
   He does great things, which we can't comprehend.
 {37:6} For he says to the snow, 'Fall on the earth;'
   likewise to the shower of rain,
   and to the showers of his mighty rain.
 {37:7} He seals up the hand of every man,
   that all men whom he has made may know it.
 {37:8} Then the animals take cover,
   and remain in their dens.
 {37:9} Out of its chamber comes the storm,
   and cold out of the north.
 {37:10} By the breath of God, ice is given,
   and the breadth of the waters is frozen.
 {37:11} Yes, he loads the thick cloud with moisture.
   He spreads abroad the cloud of his lightning.
 {37:12} It is turned around by his guidance,
   that they may do whatever he commands them
   on the surface of the habitable world,
 {37:13} Whether it is for correction, or for his land,
   or for loving kindness, that he causes it to come.

 {37:14} "Listen to this, Job.
   Stand still, and consider the wondrous works of God.
 {37:15} Do you know how God controls them,
   and causes the lightning of his cloud to shine?
 {37:16} Do you know the workings of the clouds,
   the wondrous works of him who is perfect in knowledge?
 {37:17} You whose clothing is warm,
   when the earth is still by reason of the south wind?
 {37:18} Can you, with him, spread out the sky,
   which is strong as a cast metal mirror?
 {37:19} Teach us what we shall tell him,
   for we can't make our case by reason of darkness.
 {37:20} Shall it be told him that I would speak?
   Or should a man wish that he were swallowed up?
 {37:21} Now men don't see the light which is bright in the skies,
   but the wind passes, and clears them.
 {37:22} Out of the north comes golden splendor.
   With God is awesome majesty.
 {37:23} We can't reach the Almighty.
   He is exalted in power.
   In justice and great righteousness, he will not oppress.
 {37:24} Therefore men revere him.
   He doesn't regard any who are wise of heart."

   {38:1} Then the LORD answered Job out of the whirlwind,
 {38:2} "Who is this who darkens counsel
   by words without knowledge?
 {38:3} Brace yourself like a man,
   for I will question you, then you answer me!

 {38:4} "Where were you when I laid the foundations of the earth?
   Declare, if you have understanding.
 {38:5} Who determined its measures, if you know?
   Or who stretched the line on it?
 {38:6} Whereupon were its foundations fastened?
   Or who laid its cornerstone,
 {38:7} when the morning stars sang together,
   and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

 {38:8} "Or who shut up the sea with doors,
   when it broke forth from the womb,
 {38:9} when I made clouds its garment,
   and wrapped it in thick darkness,
 {38:10} marked out for it my bound,
   set bars and doors,
 {38:11} and said, 'Here you may come, but no further.
   Here your proud waves shall be stayed?'

 {38:12} "Have you commanded the morning in your days,
   and caused the dawn to know its place;
 {38:13} that it might take hold of the ends of the earth,
   and shake the wicked out of it?
 {38:14} It is changed as clay under the seal,
   and stands forth as a garment.
 {38:15} From the wicked, their light is withheld.
   The high arm is broken.

 {38:16} "Have you entered into the springs of the sea?
   Or have you walked in the recesses of the deep?
 {38:17} Have the gates of death been revealed to you?
   Or have you seen the gates of the shadow of death?
 {38:18} Have you comprehended the earth in its breadth?
   Declare, if you know it all.

 {38:19} "What is the way to the dwelling of light?
   As for darkness, where is its place,
 {38:20} that you should take it to its bound,
   that you should discern the paths to its house?
 {38:21} Surely you know, for you were born then,
   and the number of your days is great!
 {38:22} Have you entered the treasuries of the snow,
   or have you seen the treasures of the hail,
 {38:23} which I have reserved against the time of trouble,
   against the day of battle and war?
 {38:24} By what way is the lightning distributed,
   or the east wind scattered on the earth?
 {38:25} Who has cut a channel for the flood water,
   or the path for the thunderstorm;
 {38:26} To cause it to rain on a land where no man is;
   on the wilderness, in which there is no man;
 {38:27} to satisfy the waste and desolate ground,
   to cause the tender grass to spring forth?
 {38:28} Does the rain have a father?
   Or who fathers the drops of dew?
 {38:29} Out of whose womb came the ice?
   The gray frost of the sky, who has given birth to it?
 {38:30} The waters become hard like stone,
   when the surface of the deep is frozen.

 {38:31} "Can you bind the cluster of the Pleiades,
   or loosen the cords of Orion?
 {38:32} Can you lead forth the constellations in their season?
   Or can you guide the Bear with her cubs?
 {38:33} Do you know the laws of the heavens?
   Can you establish its dominion over the earth?

 {38:34} "Can you lift up your voice to the clouds,
   That abundance of waters may cover you?
 {38:35} Can you send forth lightnings, that they may go?
   Do they report to you, 'Here we are?'
 {38:36} Who has put wisdom in the inward parts?
   Or who has given understanding to the mind?
 {38:37} Who can number the clouds by wisdom?
   Or who can pour out the bottles of the sky,
 {38:38} when the dust runs into a mass,
   and the clods of earth stick together?

 {38:39} "Can you hunt the prey for the lioness,
   or satisfy the appetite of the young lions,
 {38:40} when they crouch in their dens,
   and lie in wait in the thicket?
 {38:41} Who provides for the raven his prey,
   when his young ones cry to God,
   and wander for lack of food?

 {39:1} "Do you know the time when the mountain goats give birth?
   Do you watch when the doe bears fawns?
 {39:2} Can you number the months that they fulfill?
   Or do you know the time when they give birth?
 {39:3} They bow themselves, they bring forth their young,
   they end their labor pains.
 {39:4} Their young ones become strong.
   They grow up in the open field.
   They go forth, and don't return again.

 {39:5} "Who has set the wild donkey free?
   Or who has loosened the bonds of the swift donkey,
 {39:6} Whose home I have made the wilderness,
   and the salt land his dwelling place?
 {39:7} He scorns the tumult of the city,
   neither does he hear the shouting of the driver.
 {39:8} The range of the mountains is his pasture,
   He searches after every green thing.

 {39:9} "Will the wild ox be content to serve you?
   Or will he stay by your feeding trough?
 {39:10} Can you hold the wild ox in the furrow with his harness?
   Or will he till the valleys after you?
 {39:11} Will you trust him, because his strength is great?
   Or will you leave to him your labor?
 {39:12} Will you confide in him, that he will bring home your seed,
   and gather the grain of your threshing floor?

 {39:13} "The wings of the ostrich wave proudly;
   but are they the feathers and plumage of love?
 {39:14} For she leaves her eggs on the earth,
   warms them in the dust,
 {39:15} and forgets that the foot may crush them,
   or that the wild animal may trample them.
 {39:16} She deals harshly with her young ones, as if they were not
        hers.
   Though her labor is in vain, she is without fear,
 {39:17} because God has deprived her of wisdom,
   neither has he imparted to her understanding.
 {39:18} When she lifts up herself on high,
   she scorns the horse and his rider.

 {39:19} "Have you given the horse might?
   Have you clothed his neck with a quivering mane?
 {39:20} Have you made him to leap as a locust?
   The glory of his snorting is awesome.
 {39:21} He paws in the valley, and rejoices in his strength.
   He goes out to meet the armed men.
 {39:22} He mocks at fear, and is not dismayed,
   neither does he turn back from the sword.
 {39:23} The quiver rattles against him,
   the flashing spear and the javelin.
 {39:24} He eats up the ground with fierceness and rage,
   neither does he stand still at the sound of the [1>]shofar[<1].
 {39:25} As often as the [2>]shofar[<2] sounds he snorts, 'Aha!'
   He smells the battle afar off,
   the thunder of the captains, and the shouting.

 {39:26} "Is it by your wisdom that the hawk soars,
   and stretches her wings toward the south?
 {39:27} Is it at your command that the eagle mounts up,
   and makes his nest on high?
 {39:28} On the cliff he dwells, and makes his home,
   on the point of the cliff, and the stronghold.
 {39:29} From there he spies out the prey.
   His eyes see it afar off.
 {39:30} His young ones also suck up blood.
   Where the slain are, there he is."

Footnotes:
[1] {39:24} or, trumpet

[2] {39:25} or, trumpet

___

 This Bible reading mailing list and web site are paid for by donations
 marked "HNV project" and payable to:

 Rainbow Missions
 PO BOX 275
 MESA CO 81643-0275

 To cancel your free email subscription, please send
 email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
 unsubscribe hnv
 in the body of the message OR go to http://ebible.org/subscribe.htm