Ecclesiastes, starting at chapter 4

   {4:1} Then I returned and saw all the oppressions that are done
 under the sun: and behold, the tears of those who were oppressed, and
 they had no comforter; and on the side of their oppressors there was
 power; but they had no comforter. {4:2} Therefore I praised the dead
 who have been long dead more than the living who are yet alive. {4:3}
 Yes, better than them both is him who has not yet been, who has not
 seen the evil work that is done under the sun. {4:4} Then I saw all
 the labor and achievement that is the envy of a man's neighbor. This
 also is vanity and a striving after wind.

   {4:5} The fool folds his hands together and ruins himself. {4:6}
 Better is a handful, with quietness, than two handfuls with labor and
 chasing after wind.

   {4:7} Then I returned and saw vanity under the sun. {4:8} There is
 one who is alone, and he has neither son nor brother. There is no end
 to all of his labor, neither are his eyes satisfied with wealth. "For
 whom then, do I labor, and deprive my soul of enjoyment?" This also is
 vanity. Yes, it is a miserable business.

   {4:9} Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for
 their labor. {4:10} For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow;
 but woe to him who is alone when he falls, and doesn't have another to
 lift him up. {4:11} Again, if two lie together, then they have warmth;
 but how can one keep warm alone? {4:12} If a man prevails against one
 who is alone, two shall withstand him; and a threefold cord is not
 quickly broken.

   {4:13} Better is a poor and wise youth than an old and foolish king
 who doesn't know how to receive admonition any more. {4:14} For out of
 prison he came forth to be king; yes, even in his kingdom he was born
 poor. {4:15} I saw all the living who walk under the sun, that they
 were with the youth, the other, who succeeded him. {4:16} There was no
 end of all the people, even of all them over whom he was--yet those
 who come after shall not rejoice in him. Surely this also is vanity
 and a chasing after wind.

   {5:1} Guard your steps when you go to God's house; for to draw near
 to listen is better than to give the sacrifice of fools, for they
 don't know that they do evil. {5:2} Don't be rash with your mouth, and
 don't let your heart be hasty to utter anything before God; for God is
 in heaven, and you on earth. Therefore let your words be few. {5:3}
 For as a dream comes with a multitude of cares, so a fool's speech
 with a multitude of words. {5:4} When you vow a vow to God, don't
 defer to pay it; for he has no pleasure in fools. Pay that which you
 vow. {5:5} It is better that you should not vow, than that you should
 vow and not pay. {5:6} Don't allow your mouth to lead you into sin.
 Don't protest before the messenger that this was a mistake. Why should
 God be angry at your voice, and destroy the work of your hands? {5:7}
 For in the multitude of dreams there are vanities, as well as in many
 words: but you must fear God.

   {5:8} If you see the oppression of the poor, and the violent taking
 away of justice and righteousness in a district, don't marvel at the
 matter: for one official is eyed by a higher one; and there are
 officials over them. {5:9} Moreover the profit of the earth is for
 all. The king profits from the field.

   {5:10} He who loves silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor
 he who loves abundance, with increase: this also is vanity. {5:11}
 When goods increase, those who eat them are increased; and what
 advantage is there to its owner, except to feast on them with his eyes?

   {5:12} The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, whether he eats little
 or much; but the abundance of the rich will not allow him to sleep.

   {5:13} There is a grievous evil which I have seen under the sun:
 wealth kept by its owner to his harm. {5:14} Those riches perish by
 misfortune, and if he has fathered a son, there is nothing in his
 hand. {5:15} As he came forth from his mother's womb, naked shall he
 go again as he came, and shall take nothing for his labor, which he
 may carry away in his hand. {5:16} This also is a grievous evil, that
 in all points as he came, so shall he go. And what profit does he have
 who labors for the wind? {5:17} All his days he also eats in darkness,
 he is frustrated, and has sickness and wrath.

   {5:18} Behold, that which I have seen to be good and proper is for
 one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy good in all his labor, in which
 he labors under the sun, all the days of his life which God has given
 him; for this is his portion. {5:19} Every man also to whom God has
 given riches and wealth, and has given him power to eat of it, and to
 take his portion, and to rejoice in his labor--this is the gift of
 God. {5:20} For he shall not often reflect on the days of his life;
 because God occupies him with the joy of his heart.

   {6:1} There is an evil which I have seen under the sun, and it is
 heavy on men: {6:2} a man to whom God gives riches, wealth, and honor,
 so that he lacks nothing for his soul of all that he desires, yet God
 gives him no power to eat of it, but an alien eats it. This is vanity,
 and it is an evil disease.

   {6:3} If a man fathers a hundred children, and lives many years, so
 that the days of his years are many, but his soul is not filled with
 good, and moreover he has no burial; I say, that a stillborn child is
 better than he: {6:4} for it comes in vanity, and departs in darkness,
 and its name is covered with darkness. {6:5} Moreover it has not seen
 the sun nor known it. This has rest rather than the other. {6:6} Yes,
 though he live a thousand years twice told, and yet fails to enjoy
 good, don't all go to one place? {6:7} All the labor of man is for his
 mouth, and yet the appetite is not filled. {6:8} For what advantage
 has the wise more than the fool? What has the poor man, that knows how
 to walk before the living? {6:9} Better is the sight of the eyes than
 the wandering of the desire. This also is vanity and a chasing after
 wind. {6:10} Whatever has been, its name was given long ago; and it is
 known what man is; neither can he contend with him who is mightier
 than he. {6:11} For there are many words that create vanity. What does
 that profit man? {6:12} For who knows what is good for man in life,
 all the days of his vain life which he spends like a shadow? For who
 can tell a man what will be after him under the sun?

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.