[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeremiah, starting at chapter 16

   {16:1} The word of the LORD came also to me, saying, {16:2} You
 shall not take a wife, neither shall you have sons or daughters, in
 this place. {16:3} For thus says the LORD concerning the sons and
 concerning the daughters who are born in this place, and concerning
 their mothers who bore them, and concerning their fathers who became
 their father in this land: {16:4} They shall die grievous deaths: they
 shall not be lamented, neither shall they be buried; they shall be as
 dung on the surface of the ground; and they shall be consumed by the
 sword, and by famine; and their dead bodies shall be food for the
 birds of the sky, and for the animals of the earth. {16:5} For thus
 says the LORD, Don't enter into the house of mourning, neither go to
 lament, neither bemoan them; for I have taken away my peace from this
 people, says the LORD, even loving kindness and tender mercies. {16:6}
 Both great and small shall die in this land; they shall not be buried,
 neither shall men lament for them, nor cut themselves, nor make
 themselves bald for them; {16:7} neither shall men break bread for
 them in mourning, to comfort them for the dead; neither shall men give
 them the cup of consolation to drink for their father or for their
 mother. {16:8} You shall not go into the house of feasting to sit with
 them, to eat and to drink. {16:9} For thus says the LORD of Hosts, the
 God of Israel: Behold, I will cause to cease out of this place, before
 your eyes and in your days, the voice of mirth and the voice of
 gladness, the voice of the bridegroom and the voice of the bride.
 {16:10} It shall happen, when you shall show this people all these
 words, and they shall tell you, Why has the LORD pronounced all this
 great evil against us? or what is our iniquity? or what is our sin
 that we have committed against the LORD our God? {16:11} Then you
 shall tell them, Because your fathers have forsaken me, says the LORD,
 and have walked after other gods, and have served them, and have
 worshiped them, and have forsaken me, and have not kept my law;
 {16:12} and you have done evil more than your fathers; for, behold,
 you walk every one after the stubbornness of his evil heart, so that
 you don't listen to me: {16:13} therefore will I cast you forth out of
 this land into the land that you have not known, neither you nor your
 fathers; and there you shall serve other gods day and night; for I
 will show you no favor. {16:14} Therefore, behold, the days come, says
 the LORD, that it shall no more be said, As the LORD lives, who
 brought up the children of Israel out of the land of Egypt; {16:15}
 but, As the LORD lives, who brought up the children of Israel from the
 land of the north, and from all the countries where he had driven
 them. I will bring them again into their land that I gave to their
 fathers. {16:16} Behold, I will send for many fishermen, says the
 LORD, and they shall fish them up; and afterward I will send for many
 hunters, and they shall hunt them from every mountain, and from every
 hill, and out of the clefts of the rocks. {16:17} For my eyes are on
 all their ways; they are not hidden from my face, neither is their
 iniquity concealed from my eyes. {16:18} First I will recompense their
 iniquity and their sin double, because they have polluted my land with
 the carcasses of their detestable things, and have filled my
 inheritance with their abominations. {16:19} LORD, my strength, and my
 stronghold, and my refuge in the day of affliction, to you shall the
 nations come from the ends of the earth, and shall say, Our fathers
 have inherited nothing but lies, vanity and things in which there is
 no profit. {16:20} Shall a man make to himself gods, which yet are no
 gods? {16:21} Therefore, behold, I will cause them to know, this once
 will I cause them to know my hand and my might; and they shall know
 that my name is the LORD.

   {17:1} The sin of Judah is written with a pen of iron, and with the
 point of a diamond: it is engraved on the tablet of their heart, and
 on the horns of your altars; {17:2} while their children remember
 their altars and their Asherim by the green trees on the high hills.
 {17:3} My mountain in the field, I will give your substance and all
 your treasures for a spoil, and your high places, because of sin,
 throughout all your borders. {17:4} You, even of yourself, shall
 discontinue from your heritage that I gave you; and I will cause you
 to serve your enemies in the land which you don't know: for you have
 kindled a fire in my anger which shall burn forever. {17:5} Thus says
 the LORD: Cursed is the man who trusts in man, and makes flesh his
 arm, and whose heart departs from the LORD. {17:6} For he shall be
 like the heath in the desert, and shall not see when good comes, but
 shall inhabit the parched places in the wilderness, a salt land and
 not inhabited. {17:7} Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, and
 whose trust the LORD is. {17:8} For he shall be as a tree planted by
 the waters, who spreads out its roots by the river, and shall not fear
 when heat comes, but its leaf shall be green; and shall not be careful
 in the year of drought, neither shall cease from yielding fruit.
 {17:9} The heart is deceitful above all things, and it is exceedingly
 corrupt: who can know it? {17:10} I, the LORD, search the mind, I try
 the heart, even to give every man according to his ways, according to
 the fruit of his doings. {17:11} As the partridge that sits on eggs
 which she has not laid, so is he who gets riches, and not by right; in
 the midst of his days they shall leave him, and at his end he shall be
 a fool. {17:12} A glorious throne, set on high from the beginning, is
 the place of our sanctuary. {17:13} LORD, the hope of Israel, all who
 forsake you shall be disappointed. Those who depart from me shall be
 written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the spring
 of living waters. {17:14} Heal me, O LORD, and I shall be healed; save
 me, and I shall be saved: for you are my praise. {17:15} Behold, they
 tell me, Where is the word of the LORD? let it come now. {17:16} As
 for me, I have not hurried from being a shepherd after you; neither
 have I desired the woeful day; you know: that which came out of my
 lips was before your face. {17:17} Don't be a terror to me: you are my
 refuge in the day of evil. {17:18} Let them be disappointed who
 persecute me, but let not me be disappointed; let them be dismayed,
 but don't let me be dismayed; bring on them the day of evil, and
 destroy them with double destruction. {17:19} Thus said the LORD to
 me: Go, and stand in the gate of the children of the people, through
 which the kings of Judah come in, and by which they go out, and in all
 the gates of Jerusalem; {17:20} and tell them, Hear the word of the
 LORD, you kings of Judah, and all Judah, and all the inhabitants of
 Jerusalem, that enter in by these gates: {17:21} Thus says the LORD,
 Take heed to yourselves, and bear no burden on the Sabbath day, nor
 bring it in by the gates of Jerusalem; {17:22} neither carry forth a
 burden out of your houses on the Sabbath day holy, neither do any
 work: but make the Sabbath day, as I commanded your fathers. {17:23}
 But they didn't listen, neither turn their ear, but made their neck
 stiff, that they might not hear, and might not receive instruction.
 {17:24} It shall happen, if you diligently listen to me, says the
 LORD, to bring in no burden through the gates of this city on the
 Sabbath day, but to make the Sabbath day holy, to do no work therein;
 {17:25} then shall there enter in by the gates of this city kings and
 princes sitting on the throne of David, riding in chariots and on
 horses, they, and their princes, the men of Judah, and the inhabitants
 of Jerusalem; and this city shall remain forever. {17:26} They shall
 come from the cities of Judah, and from the places around Jerusalem,
 and from the land of Benjamin, and from the lowland, and from the hill
 country, and from the South, bringing burnt offerings, and sacrifices,
 and meal offerings, and frankincense, and bringing sacrifices of
 thanksgiving, to the house of the LORD. {17:27} But if you will not
 listen to me to make the Sabbath day holy, and not to bear a burden
 and enter in at the gates of Jerusalem on the Sabbath day; then will I
 kindle a fire in its gates, and it shall devour the palaces of
 Jerusalem, and it shall not be quenched.

   {18:1} The word which came to Jeremiah from the LORD, saying, {18:2}
 Arise, and go down to the potter's house, and there I will cause you
 to hear my words. {18:3} Then I went down to the potter's house, and
 behold, he was making a work on the wheels. {18:4} When the vessel
 that he made of the clay was marred in the hand of the potter, he made
 it again another vessel, as seemed good to the potter to make it.
 {18:5} Then the word of the LORD came to me, saying, {18:6} House of
 Israel, can't I do with you as this potter? says the LORD. Behold, as
 the clay in the potter's hand, so are you in my hand, house of Israel.
 {18:7} At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and
 concerning a kingdom, to pluck up and to break down and to destroy it;
 {18:8} if that nation, concerning which I have spoken, turn from their
 evil, I will repent of the evil that I thought to do to them. {18:9}
 At what instant I shall speak concerning a nation, and concerning a
 kingdom, to build and to plant it; {18:10} if they do that which is
 evil in my sight, that they not obey my voice, then I will repent of
 the good, with which I said I would benefit them. {18:11} Now
 therefore, speak to the men of Judah, and to the inhabitants of
 Jerusalem, saying, Thus says the LORD: Behold, I frame evil against
 you, and devise a device against you: return you now everyone from his
 evil way, and amend your ways and your doings. {18:12} But they say,
 It is in vain; for we will walk after our own devices, and we will do
 everyone after the stubbornness of his evil heart. {18:13} Therefore
 thus says the LORD: Ask now among the nations, who has heard such
 things; the virgin of Israel has done a very horrible thing. {18:14}
 Shall the snow of Lebanon fail from the rock of the field? Shall the
 cold waters that flow down from afar be dried up? {18:15} For my
 people have forgotten me, they have burned incense to false gods; and
 they have been made to stumble in their ways, in the ancient paths, to
 walk in byways, in a way not built up; {18:16} to make their land an
 astonishment, and a perpetual hissing; everyone who passes thereby
 shall be astonished, and shake his head. {18:17} I will scatter them
 as with an east wind before the enemy; I will show them the back, and
 not the face, in the day of their calamity. {18:18} Then they said,
 Come, and let us devise devices against Jeremiah; for the law shall
 not perish from the priest, nor counsel from the wise, nor the word
 from the prophet. Come, and let us strike him with the tongue, and let
 us not give heed to any of his words. {18:19} Give heed to me, LORD,
 and listen to the voice of those who contend with me. {18:20} Shall
 evil be recompensed for good? for they have dug a pit for my soul.
 Remember how I stood before you to speak good for them, to turn away
 your wrath from them. {18:21} Therefore deliver up their children to
 the famine, and give them over to the power of the sword; and let
 their wives become childless, and widows; and let their men be slain
 of death, and their young men struck of the sword in battle. {18:22}
 Let a cry be heard from their houses, when you shall bring a troop
 suddenly on them; for they have dug a pit to take me, and hid snares
 for my feet. {18:23} Yet, LORD, you know all their counsel against me
 to kill me; don't forgive their iniquity, neither blot out their sin
 from your sight; but let them be overthrown before you; deal you with
 them in the time of your anger.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.