[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Jeremiah, starting at chapter 22

   {22:1} Thus said the LORD: Go down to the house of the king of
 Judah, and speak there this word, {22:2} Say, Hear the word of the
 LORD, king of Judah, who sits on the throne of David, you, and your
 servants, and your people who enter in by these gates. {22:3} Thus
 says the LORD: Execute justice and righteousness, and deliver him who
 is robbed out of the hand of the oppressor: and do no wrong, do no
 violence, to the foreigner, the fatherless, nor the widow; neither
 shed innocent blood in this place. {22:4} For if you do this thing
 indeed, then shall there enter in by the gates of this house kings
 sitting on the throne of David, riding in chariots and on horses, he,
 and his servants, and his people. {22:5} But if you will not hear
 these words, I swear by myself, says the LORD, that this house shall
 become a desolation. {22:6} For thus says the LORD concerning the
 house of the king of Judah: You are Gilead to me, the head of Lebanon.
 Yet surely I will make you a wilderness, cities which are not
 inhabited. {22:7} I will prepare destroyers against you, everyone with
 his weapons; and they shall cut down your choice cedars, and cast them
 into the fire. {22:8} Many nations shall pass by this city, and they
 shall say every man to his neighbor, Why has the LORD done thus to
 this great city? {22:9} Then they shall answer, Because they forsook
 the covenant of the LORD their God, and worshiped other gods, and
 served them. {22:10} Don't weep for the dead, neither bemoan him; but
 weep bitterly for him who goes away; for he shall return no more, nor
 see his native country. {22:11} For thus says the LORD touching
 Shallum the son of Josiah, king of Judah, who reigned instead of
 Josiah his father, and who went forth out of this place: He shall not
 return there any more. {22:12} But in the place where they have led
 him captive, there shall he die, and he shall see this land no more.
 {22:13} Woe to him who builds his house by unrighteousness, and his
 rooms by injustice; who uses his neighbor's service without wages, and
 doesn't give him his hire; {22:14} who says, I will build me a wide
 house and spacious rooms, and cuts him out windows; and it is ceiling
 with cedar, and painted with vermilion. {22:15} Shall you reign,
 because you strive to excel in cedar? Didn't your father eat and
 drink, and do justice and righteousness? then it was well with him.
 {22:16} He judged the cause of the poor and needy; then it was well.
 Wasn't this to know me? says the LORD. {22:17} But your eyes and your
 heart are not but for your covetousness, and for shedding innocent
 blood, and for oppression, and for violence, to do it. {22:18}
 Therefore thus says the LORD concerning Jehoiakim the son of Josiah,
 king of Judah: they shall not lament for him, saying, Ah my brother!
 or, Ah sister! They shall not lament for him, saying Ah lord! or, Ah
 his glory! {22:19} He shall be buried with the burial of a donkey,
 drawn and cast forth beyond the gates of Jerusalem. {22:20} Go up to
 Lebanon, and cry; and lift up your voice in Bashan, and cry from
 Abarim; for all your lovers are destroyed. {22:21} I spoke to you in
 your prosperity; but you said, I will not hear. This has been your way
 from your youth, that you didn't obey my voice. {22:22} The wind shall
 feed all your shepherds, and your lovers shall go into captivity:
 surely then you will be ashamed and confounded for all your
 wickedness. {22:23} Inhabitant of Lebanon, who makes your nest in the
 cedars, how greatly to be pitied you will be when pangs come on you,
 the pain as of a woman in travail! {22:24} As I live, says the LORD,
 though Coniah the son of Jehoiakim king of Judah were the signet on my
 right hand, yet would I pluck you there; {22:25} and I will give you
 into the hand of those who seek your life, and into the hand of them
 of whom you are afraid, even into the hand of Nebuchadnezzar king of
 Babylon, and into the hand of the Kasdim. {22:26} I will cast you out,
 and your mother who bore you, into another country, where you were not
 born; and there you will die. {22:27} But to the land whereunto their
 soul longs to return, there shall they not return. {22:28} Is this man
 Coniah a despised broken vessel? is he a vessel in which none
 delights? why are they cast out, he and his seed, and are cast into
 the land which they don't know? {22:29} O earth, earth, earth, hear
 the word of the LORD. {22:30} Thus says the LORD, Write you this man
 childless, a man who shall not prosper in his days; for no more shall
 a man of his seed prosper, sitting on the throne of David, and ruling
 in Judah.

   {23:1} Woe to the shepherds who destroy and scatter the sheep of my
 pasture! says the LORD. {23:2} Therefore thus says the LORD, the God
 of Israel, against the shepherds who feed my people: You have
 scattered my flock, and driven them away, and have not visited them;
 behold, I will visit on you the evil of your doings, says the LORD.
 {23:3} I will gather the remnant of my flock out of all the countries
 where I have driven them, and will bring them again to their folds;
 and they shall be fruitful and multiply. {23:4} I will set up
 shepherds over them, who shall feed them; and they shall fear no more,
 nor be dismayed, neither shall any be lacking, says the LORD. {23:5}
 Behold, the days come, says the LORD, that I will raise to David a
 righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and
 shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. {23:6} In his
 days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely; and this is
 his name by which he shall be called: the LORD our righteousness.
 {23:7} Therefore, behold, the days come, says the LORD, that they
 shall no more say, As the LORD lives, who brought up the children of
 Israel out of the land of Egypt; {23:8} but, As the LORD lives, who
 brought up and who led the seed of the house of Israel out of the
 north country, and from all the countries where I had driven them.
 They shall dwell in their own land. {23:9} Concerning the prophets. My
 heart within me is broken, all my bones shake; I am like a drunken
 man, and like a man whom wine has overcome, because of the LORD, and
 because of his holy words. {23:10} For the land is full of adulterers;
 for because of swearing the land mourns; the pastures of the
 wilderness are dried up. Their course is evil, and their might is not
 right; {23:11} for both prophet and priest are profane; yes, in my
 house have I found their wickedness, says the LORD. {23:12} Therefore
 their way shall be to them as slippery places in the darkness: they
 shall be driven on, and fall therein; for I will bring evil on them,
 even the year of their visitation, says the LORD. {23:13} I have seen
 folly in the prophets of Samaria; they prophesied by Baal, and caused
 my people Israel to err. {23:14} In the prophets of Jerusalem also I
 have seen a horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies;
 and they strengthen the hands of evildoers, so that none does return
 from his wickedness: they are all of them become to me as Sodom, and
 its inhabitants as Gomorrah. {23:15} Therefore thus says the LORD of
 Hosts concerning the prophets: Behold, I will feed them with wormwood,
 and make them drink the water of gall; for from the prophets of
 Jerusalem is ungodliness gone forth into all the land. {23:16} Thus
 says the LORD of Hosts, Don't listen to the words of the prophets who
 prophesy to you: they teach you vanity; they speak a vision of their
 own heart, and not out of the mouth of the LORD. {23:17} They say
 continually to those who despise me, the LORD has said, You shall have
 peace; and to everyone who walks in the stubbornness of his own heart
 they say, No evil shall come on you. {23:18} For who has stood in the
 council of the LORD, that he should perceive and hear his word? who
 has marked my word, and heard it? {23:19} Behold, the storm of the
 LORD, his wrath, has gone forth. Yes, a whirling storm. It shall burst
 on the head of the wicked. {23:20} The anger of the LORD shall not
 return, until he has executed, and until he have performed the intents
 of his heart: in the latter days you shall understand it perfectly.
 {23:21} I sent not these prophets, yet they ran: I didn't speak to
 them, yet they prophesied. {23:22} But if they had stood in my
 council, then had they caused my people to hear my words, and had
 turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their doings.
 {23:23} Am I a God at hand, says the LORD, and not a God afar off?
 {23:24} Can any hide himself in secret places so that I shall not see
 him? says the LORD. Don't I fill heaven and earth? says the LORD.
 {23:25} I have heard what the prophets have said, who prophesy lies in
 my name, saying, I have dreamed, I have dreamed. {23:26} How long
 shall this be in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, even the
 prophets of the deceit of their own heart? {23:27} who think to cause
 my people to forget my name by their dreams which they tell every man
 to his neighbor, as their fathers forgot my name for Baal. {23:28} The
 prophet who has a dream, let him tell a dream; and he who has my word,
 let him speak my word faithfully. What is the straw to the wheat? says
 the LORD. {23:29} Isn't my word like fire? says the LORD; and like a
 hammer that breaks the rock in pieces? {23:30} Therefore, behold, I am
 against the prophets, says the LORD, who steal my words everyone from
 his neighbor. {23:31} Behold, I am against the prophets, says the
 LORD, who use their tongues, and say, He says. {23:32} Behold, I am
 against those who prophesy lying dreams, says the LORD, and do tell
 them, and cause my people to err by their lies, and by their vain
 boasting: yet I didn't send them, nor commanded them; neither do they
 profit this people at all, says the LORD. {23:33} When this people, or
 the prophet, or a priest, shall ask you, saying, What is the burden of
 the LORD? Then you shall tell them, What burden! I will cast you off,
 says the LORD. {23:34} As for the prophet, and the priest, and the
 people, who shall say, The burden of the LORD, I will even punish that
 man and his house. {23:35} You shall say everyone to his neighbor, and
 everyone to his brother, What has the LORD answered? and, What has the
 LORD spoken? {23:36} You shall mention the burden of the LORD no more:
 for every man's own word shall be his burden; for you have perverted
 the words of the living God, of the LORD of Hosts our God. {23:37} You
 shall say to the prophet, What has the LORD answered you? and, What
 has the LORD spoken? {23:38} But if you say, The burden of the LORD;
 therefore thus says the LORD: Because you say this word, The burden of
 the LORD, and I have sent to you, saying, You shall not say, The
 burden of the LORD; {23:39} therefore, behold, I will utterly forget
 you, and I will cast you off, and the city that I gave to you and to
 your fathers, away from my presence: {23:40} and I will bring an
 everlasting reproach on you, and a perpetual shame, which shall not be
 forgotten.

   {24:1} The LORD showed me, and behold, two baskets of figs set
 before the temple of the LORD, after that Nebuchadnezzar king of
 Babylon had carried away captive Jeconiah the son of Jehoiakim, king
 of Judah, and the princes of Judah, with the craftsmen and smiths,
 from Jerusalem, and had brought them to Babylon. {24:2} One basket had
 very good figs, like the figs that are first-ripe; and the other
 basket had very bad figs, which could not be eaten, they were so bad.
 {24:3} Then the LORD said to me, What do you see, Jeremiah? I said,
 Figs; the good figs, very good; and the bad, very bad, that can't be
 eaten, they are so bad. {24:4} The word of the LORD came to me,
 saying, {24:5} Thus says the LORD, the God of Israel: Like these good
 figs, so will I regard the captives of Judah, whom I have sent out of
 this place into the land of the Kasdim, for good. {24:6} For I will
 set my eyes on them for good, and I will bring them again to this
 land: and I will build them, and not pull them down; and I will plant
 them, and not pluck them up. {24:7} I will give them a heart to know
 me, that I am the LORD: and they shall be my people, and I will be
 their God; for they shall return to me with their whole heart. {24:8}
 As the bad figs, which can't be eaten, they are so bad, surely thus
 says the LORD, So will I give up Zedekiah the king of Judah, and his
 princes, and the residue of Jerusalem, who remain in this land, and
 those who dwell in the land of Egypt, {24:9} I will even give them up
 to be tossed back and forth among all the kingdoms of the earth for
 evil; to be a reproach and a proverb, a taunt and a curse, in all
 places where I shall drive them. {24:10} I will send the sword, the
 famine, and the pestilence, among them, until they be consumed from
 off the land that I gave to them and to their fathers.

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.