arch...@jab.org

Isaiah, starting at chapter 46

{46:1} Bel bows down, Nebo stoops; their idols are on the animals, and
        on the livestock: the things that you carried about are made a
        load, a burden to the weary. {46:2} They stoop, they bow down
        together; they could not deliver the burden, but themselves
        have gone into captivity.

 {46:3} "Listen to me, house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house
        of Israel, that have been borne from their birth, that have
        been carried from the womb; {46:4} and even to old age I am he,
        and even to gray hairs will I carry you. I have made, and I
        will bear; yes, I will carry, and will deliver.

 {46:5} "To whom will you liken me, and make me equal, and compare me,
        that we may be like? {46:6} Some pour out gold from the bag,
        and weigh silver in the balance. They hire a goldsmith, and he
        makes it a god. They fall down--yes, they worship. {46:7} They
        bear it on the shoulder, they carry it, and set it in its
        place, and it stands, from its place it shall not move: yes,
        one may cry to it, yet it can not answer, nor save him out of
        his trouble.

 {46:8} "Remember this, and show yourselves men; bring it again to
        mind, you transgressors. {46:9} Remember the former things of
        old: for I am God, and there is none else; I am God, and there
        is none like me; {46:10} declaring the end from the beginning,
        and from ancient times things that are not yet done; saying, My
        counsel shall stand, and I will do all my pleasure; {46:11}
        calling a ravenous bird from the east, the man of my counsel
        from a far country; yes, I have spoken, I will also bring it to
        pass; I have purposed, I will also do it. {46:12} Listen to me,
        you stout-hearted, who are far from righteousness: {46:13} I
        bring near my righteousness, it shall not be far off, and my
        salvation shall not wait; and I will place salvation in Zion
        for Israel my glory.

 {47:1} "Come down, and sit in the dust, virgin daughter of Babylon;
        sit on the ground without a throne, daughter of the Kasdim: for
        you shall no more be called tender and delicate. {47:2} Take
        the millstones, and grind meal; remove your veil, strip off the
        train, uncover the leg, pass through the rivers. {47:3} Your
        nakedness shall be uncovered, yes, your shame shall be seen: I
        will take vengeance, and will spare no man."

 {47:4} Our Redeemer, the LORD of Hosts is his name, the Holy One of
        Israel.

 {47:5} "Sit in silence, and go into darkness, daughter of the Kasdim;
 for you shall no more be called the mistress of kingdoms.
 {47:6} I was angry with my people, I profaned my inheritance, and gave
        them into your hand: you showed them no mercy; on the aged you
        have very heavily laid your yoke. {47:7} You said, 'I shall be
        a mistress forever;' so that you did not lay these things to
        your heart, nor did you remember the latter end of it.

 {47:8} "Now therefore hear this, you who are given to pleasures, who
        sit securely, who say in your heart, 'I am, and there is none
        else besides me; I shall not sit as a widow, neither shall I
        know the loss of children:' {47:9} but these two things shall
        come to you in a moment in one day, the loss of children, and
        widowhood; in their full measure shall they come on you, in the
        multitude of your sorceries, and the great abundance of your
        enchantments. {47:10} For you have trusted in your wickedness;
        you have said, No one sees me; your wisdom and your knowledge,
        it has perverted you, and you have said in your heart, I am,
        and there is none else besides me. {47:11} Therefore evil will
        come on you; you won't know when it dawns: and mischief will
        fall on you; you will not be able to put it away: and
        desolation shall come on you suddenly, which you don't know.

 {47:12} "Stand now with your enchantments, and with the multitude of
        your sorceries, in which you have labored from your youth; if
        so be you shall be able to profit, if so be you may prevail.
        {47:13} You are wearied in the multitude of your counsels: let
        now the astrologers, the stargazers, the monthly
        prognosticators, stand up, and save you from the things that
        shall come on you. {47:14} Behold, they shall be as stubble;
        the fire shall burn them; they shall not deliver themselves
        from the power of the flame: it shall not be a coal to warm at,
        nor a fire to sit before. {47:15} Thus shall the things be to
        you in which you have labored: those who have trafficked with
        you from your youth shall wander everyone to his quarter; there
        shall be none to save you.

 {48:1} "Hear this, house of Jacob, you who are called by the name of
        Israel, and have come forth out of the waters of Judah; who
        swear by the name of the LORD, and make mention of the God of
        Israel, but not in truth, nor in righteousness {48:2} (for they
        call themselves of the holy city, and stay themselves on the
        God of Israel; the LORD of Hosts is his name): {48:3} I have
        declared the former things from of old; yes, they went forth
        out of my mouth, and I showed them: suddenly I did them, and
        they happened. {48:4} Because I knew that you are obstinate,
        and your neck is an iron sinew, and your brow brass; {48:5}
        therefore I have declared it to you from of old; before it came
        to pass I showed it to you; lest you should say, 'My idol has
        done them, and my engraved image, and my molten image, has
        commanded them.' {48:6} You have heard it; see all this; and
        you, will you not declare it?

 "I have shown you new things from this time, even hidden things, which
        you have not known. {48:7} They are created now, and not from
        of old; and before this day you didn't hear them; lest you
        should say, 'Behold, I knew them.'
 {48:8} Yes, you didn't hear; yes, you didn't know; yes, from of old
        your ear was not opened: for I knew that you dealt very
        treacherously, and was called a transgressor from the womb.
        {48:9} For my name's sake will I defer my anger, and for my
        praise will I refrain for you, that I not cut you off. {48:10}
        Behold, I have refined you, but not as silver; I have chosen
        you in the furnace of affliction. {48:11} For my own sake, for
        my own sake, will I do it; for how should my name be profaned?
        I will not give my glory to another.

 {48:12} "Listen to me, O Jacob, and Israel my called: I am he; I am
        the first, I also am the last. {48:13} Yes, my hand has laid
        the foundation of the earth, and my right hand has spread out
        the heavens: when I call to them, they stand up together.

 {48:14} "Assemble yourselves, all you, and hear; who among them has
        declared these things? He whom the LORD loves shall perform his
        pleasure on Babylon, and his arm shall be on the Kasdim.
        {48:15} I, even I, have spoken; yes, I have called him; I have
        brought him, and he shall make his way prosperous.

   {48:16} "Come near to me and hear this:

 "From the beginning I have not spoken in secret; from the time that it
        was, there am I." Now the Lord GOD has sent me, with his Spirit.

 {48:17} Thus says the LORD, your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel: I
        am the LORD your God, who teaches you to profit, who leads you
        by the way that you should go. {48:18} Oh that you had listened
        to my commandments! then your peace would have been like a
        river, and your righteousness like the waves of the sea:
        {48:19} your seed also had been as the sand, and the offspring
        of your body like its grains: his name would not be cut off nor
        destroyed from before me. {48:20} Go forth from Babylon, flee
        from the Kasdim; with a voice of singing declare, tell this,
        utter it even to the end of the earth: say, the LORD has
        redeemed his servant Jacob. {48:21} They didn't thirst when he
        led them through the deserts; he caused the waters to flow out
        of the rock for them; he split the rock also, and the waters
        gushed out. {48:22} "There is no peace," says the LORD, "for
        the wicked."

The World English Bible: Messianic Edition is in the Public Domain.
This translation is also known as the Hebrew Names Version. "World
English Bible," "World English Bible: Messianic Edition," and "World
English Bible" are trademarks of Rainbow Missions, Inc., and may only
be used as names for the Bible translations so named and distributed by
Rainbow Missions, Inc., and faithful copies thereof. Typo reports are
welcome at http://eBible.org/cgi-bin/comment.cgi. Please see
http://HNVBible.org for updates.