Wow it's been a long week... Nah I'm not interested in versioning as such, just more powerful timestamps. Rails gives you created_at and updated_at, but you still don't know *who* created or updated your model. Now that we have hobo we have a standard system of user accounts, so why not track *who* made those changes as well as when? I think it'd be pretty cool (and I hope other people would be interested).
Anyway, I've got it all working except for one last thing which is bugging me, which is that if you have a model, and that model has a "has_many" association that is accessible, I can't hide these new "user tracking" fields. I can't figure out why those are still being included. Everywhere else I've been able to patch hobo (using my plugin) to ignore those fields. Very annoying, but luckily for me, in my application accessible relations are fairly uncommon. On Aug 29, 4:47 am, Owen <[email protected]> wrote: > Hmmm. The link to "Vestal Version" appears to be broken... > > On Aug 28, 12:31 pm, kevinpfromnm <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > > Versioning is not necessarily just for the paranoid. Think wikis > > > On Aug 27, 8:32 pm, Matt Jones <[email protected]> wrote: > > > > If you're just trying to make them go away completely, never_show may > > > do the trick. But I'm not sure what the utility of userstamps that are > > > invisible is... > > > > Also, for the super-paranoid out there, this plugin could be > > > useful:http://github.com/laserlemon/vestal_version > > > > Stores every version of objects and lets you rewind back in time... > > > > --Matt Jones > > > > On Aug 27, 2009, at 10:06 PM, Iain wrote: > > > > > Has anyone ever tried customizing thetimestampfields? I've written > > > > a > > > > plugin that adds threenewfields for monitoring the user who > > > > created, > > > > updated and deleted each model (via an association to the users > > > > table), which is working great, but I'd like to hide them from the > > > > user in such a way that they behave just like the existingtimestamp > > > > fields. Sounds easy but it's driving me nuts! > > > > > So far I've overridden both definitions of the standard_fields helper > > > > (one for generating dryml and one called from rapid), which is > > > > working > > > > well, but it turns out that with-fields and with-field-names work > > > > differently in subtle ways (for example, with-fields uses > > > > standard_fields() whereas with-field-names explicitly removes the > > > >timestampfields instead). What's more, even if I remove the fields > > > > in > > > > standard_fields(), they are automatically added back in because they > > > > are associations, unless I explicitly specify skip-associations > > > > (which > > > > is a pain because I don't want to skip all associations). Then on top > > > > of all of that, I've noticed that <table> has the "force-all" > > > > attribute hard-coded in which seems to be stopping me from hiding > > > > these fields even if I use view_permitted? in the model. > > > > > Does anyone have any neat ideas about how to do this?- Hide quoted text > > > > - > > > - Show quoted text - --~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~ You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Hobo Users" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected] To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected] For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/hobousers?hl=en -~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---
