My personal feelings on this foundational aspect are that the
actual set of axioms isn't that important provided the usual
introduction and elimination rules of predicate calculus can be
derived from them.

My recollection (don't have citations to hand) is that Church originally
wanted the untyped lambda calculus to serve as a foundation for logic,
but that was discovered to be inconsistent. Something like
Russell's paradox would be easy to code up in it. However, the simply
typed lambda calculus worked better, i.e., it supports the derivation of
the expected FOL-like rules, as we see in HOL theorem provers, and it
is sound.

Konrad.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM, Bill Richter <rich...@math.northwestern.edu