Hi Ramana,

Well, they are both ways of matching the final consequent of a1 ==> a2
==> a3 ==> ... ==> c with the goal.

Until I saw your question I hadn't been aware of the existence of
MP_CANON.

Possibly the biggest difference is that irule will produce multiple new
subgoals (eg, in the above case, one for each ai - except as noted below).

There's a bit of reimplementation of irule recently and continuing,
involving the behaviour when there are variables some of the ai but not
in c, (like MATCH_MP_TAC, it introduces existentials, which also may
require collecting together some of the ai) which may affect ordering
and exact form of the new subgoals.

Cheers,

Jeremy