Hi Rob,

>> It’s the other way round. Soundness implies that proof-theoretic
>> conservativity implies model-theoretic conservativity.

Ondra's statement was the correct one.

Let's spell this out, to make sure we are speaking of the same thing. Say you
have a signature Sigma' extending a signature Sigma (by adding some constant
and type constructor symbols). Then every Sigma'-model M' produces a
Sigma-Model, Forget(M'), by forgetting the interpretation of the symbols in
Sigma' minus Sigma. Moreover,

(*) For every closed Sigma-formula  phi, we have that M |= phi holds iff
Forget(M) |= phi holds.

Let T be a Sigma-theory (i.e., a set of closed Sigma-formulas), and let T' be a
Sigma'-theory that includes T.
T' is called:

(A) a model-theoretic conservative extension of T if, for all Sigma-models M of
T, there exists a Sigma'-model M' of T' such that Forget(M') = M.

(B) a proof-theoretic conservative extension of T if, for all closed
Sigma-formulas phi, T' |- phi implies T |- phi.

Assuming soundness *and completeness*, we have (A) implies (B). Proof: We can
reason about semantic deduction |= instead of syntactic deduction. Assume T'|=
phi .To prove T|= phi, let M |= T; by (A), we find M' |= T' such that
Forget(M') = M. With T'|= phi, we obtain Forget(M')|= phi. From this and (*),
we obtain M' |= phi, as desired.

In general, (B) does not imply (A), and I don't know of interesting sufficient
conditions for when it does.

Best,
  Andrei