On 17/01/17 15:24, Chun Tian (binghe) wrote:
> Sorry, I re-checked my Isabelle environment and found that the PolyML in
> Isabelle is actually built by GCC (mingw versions), so my statement
> about "PolyML cannot be built in ..." was completely wrong. The rest
> ideas should still hold.

It is indeed built with MinGW, but that is very difficult to do. See
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/raw-file/Isabelle2016-1/Admin/polyml/INSTALL-MinGW
which is just a reminder for me for the precise versions need to be
used. Otherwise it won't work.

Maybe we can open a discussion on the Poly/ML mailing list, if this
rather old version of gcc on MinGW is still needed, or if things can be
updated and simplified.

Concerning system structures in ML, see also:

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/raw-file/Isabelle2016-1/src/Pure/ML/ml_system.ML

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/raw-file/Isabelle2016-1/src/Pure/System/bash.ML

Here the bash.exe is the one from Cygwin -- that is required for add-on
tools of Isabelle.

        Makarius