Well, arguably you are describing an implementation. Maybe we can be more
abstract. If the device has no "reset" function, then I guess it can be
specified simply by the predicate PRIME, i.e. PRIME(t) is the output of the
device at time t. If we do have a reset function, then presumably something
like PRIME(t - SINCE_LAST_RESET(t)) might do it.

The point is that Mike's original approach, using recursive domain equations,
apparently concealed the internal state completely. Mike wrote a remarkable
technical report in 1981, with interesting discussion e.g. on page 8. His
discussion of "machines" is already HOL-like, but his actual theory is still
couched in terms of domains. Mike's report can temporarily be downloaded from
here:

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~lp15/tmp/1981.pdf

Many thanks!

Larry