It looks as if it came from

  polyml/basis/FinalPolyML.sml

Michael

On 29/4/18, 20:23, "Chun Tian" <binghe.l...@gmail.com> wrote:

    Thanks for the detailed explanation. Just one more question: do you know
which code file in Poly/ML sources corresponds to tools-poly/holrepl.ML?

    —Chun

    > Il giorno 29 apr 2018, alle ore 11:00, michael.norr...@data61.csiro.au ha
scritto:

    > As I said earlier, the breakage is certainly caused by the way in which
the REPL executable now includes a custom lexer (for handling the various
backquote ``....`` syntaxes), and is not the standard Poly REPL. This is
exactly the change that was implemented in the heaps-reworked branch. Having to
run a separate process just to achieve that lexing has caused many difficulties
in the past, and I am definitely not inclined to go back to it.

    > It's possible that the Poly/ML debugging facility can be re-implemented
in the new REPL; you may be able to get useful advice about how this might be
done on the Poly/ML mailing list.  Such tweaking would almost certainly have to
be done against the code in tools-poly/holrepl.ML, which is basically a
slightly adjusted copy of code from the Poly/ML sources.

    > Michael
    >
    > On 29/4/18, 02:56, "Chun Tian" <binghe.l...@gmail.com> wrote:
    >
    >    Hi Michael,
    >
    >    I… took some time trying to find out the revision which breaks the
debugging facility. After many rounds of binary searching, I found that, until
the following revision

    >           e5fc0f365922cfd11ec32c4531983d20892777a6 (Improving naming of
bit-vector signed division constants…) on Sep 11, 2017

    >    the debugging facility still works, then after the next revision it’s
broken:

    >           69125acadde5cf629e4b9d5604bc33b226c57b5d (Merge branch
'heaps-reworked’) on Sep 13, 2017

    >    many revisions after e5fc0f36 is not buildable under Poly/ML 5.7
(until c52815a4 “Comment out optional(?) code that doesn't work/exist under
poly5.7…”) so I used Poly/ML 5.6 to confirm above broken revisions.

    >    I’ll try to dig into your branch 'heaps-reworked’ to further find out
the exact changes related to the breaks of debugging facility.

    >    Could you please make some efforts to fix this issue? I think HOL
should be considered as a normal Poly/ML with theorem proving built in, and in
theory HOL executions can be used for developing any SML-based applications,
and the the debugging facility is very important for large complex applications.

<marioxcc...@yandex.com> wrote:

    >>   What do you use for debugging, or instead of debugging?
    >>
    >>   On 19/04/18 23:02, michael.norr...@data61.csiro.au wrote:
    >>> I've never used the Poly/ML debugger. The HOL4 REPL is a custom piece
of code (handling the lexing of “...” forms, for example), so I guess this
interferes with what the debugger wants to do.  If you wanted to use the
debugger, you might be able to get things to work by manually use-ing the HOL
SML sources into the standard poly REPL.