I think you've misunderstood.  One form maps to store_thm; the other maps to
save_thm.  In both cases the name is likely to be fresh, just as the names
passed to store_thm and save_thm are usually fresh.  (If they're not, the
underlying SML functions emit warning messages.)

Here the advantage is quite clear and valuable: in the existing system, you
have to type the same string of symbols twice in order to avoid annoying
maintenance issues when theorems get moved.  There's no utility in allowing
people to write things like

   val foo = save_thm("bar", ...)

and it just leads to real pain.

Slippery slope arguments cut no mustard.

Michael