In message <c5e8c3ca-ba31-4af7-abb2-729e8629b...@apple.com>
james woodyatt writes:

> On Oct 24, 2011, at 1:24 AM, Ray Bellis wrote:
> >
> > Will those arguing for ND Proxy please stand up and be counted?
>
> I have long complained that certain WPAN physical layers should be
> prepared to attach to home networks, either by application layer
> gateways on bastion hosts, or by dedicated ND/RD proxy devices, rather
> than by demanding that every residential network deploy a standard
> zero configuration prefix delegation and routing protocol to interface
> to these peculiar WPAN networks.
>
> I know I'm in the minority on this.  I don't think I can point to
> anyone who agrees with me.  Still, I should be counted.
>
> --
> james woodyatt <j...@apple.com>
> member of technical staff, core os networking

I'm not sure what you are advocating.  (Except having read ahead I
know whatever it is Dave Thaler agrees with you).

It seems to me like you are advocating treatment of WPAN as a special
case stub with very limited capability appropriate only for a stub.

Is it possible for a WPAN-only connected device to have more than one
reachable device which could provide connectivity to a wired (or WiFi
wireless) network and eventual connectivity to a controlling host?  Is
it also possible that a mesh of WPAN devices could exist?  If so, then
WPAN is no longer a special case stub, it is mearly a low power device
with limited radio coverage and/or limited bandwidth.

For example, a potential application of WPAN is home security.  With
routing each window or door or motion sensor need not be within reach
of the control unit, just within reach of another window or door or
sensor.  This would be a mesh application in the home.  The bluetooth
limitation where the headset has to be near the phone or computer need
not constrain what WPAN is used for in the future.  The effective
range can be extended as long as the device is near *something* that
does WPAN and the something has other connectivity or is part of a
mesh that has other connectivity.

I did mention that devices need to be "bonded" to each other somehow.
These WPAN applications are a case where this is important.  The more
the range of the WPAN is extended, the more you wouldn't want it to be
too easy to spoof the home alarm system or have anything connect to a
given phone or headset.  Of course, limited range is no excuse for the
situation with bluetooth headsets in airports where everything bonds
with everything else because they all use a manufacturer's default.

Curtis