On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Juliusz Chroboczek wrote:

Is the load from routing protocols we're talking about likely to have
any noticeable effect on the the forwarding rate?

Here are the figures given by H. Gredler on p.266 of "The Complete IS-IS
Routing Protocol" for a Cisco GRP 1200:

 Routers      Links   SPF time (ms)
   100         250       4,80
   200         500      12,42
   400        1000      31,22
   600        1500      52,94
   800        2000      76,67
   1000       2500     101,94

I have no idea how a Cisco GRP 1200 compares to a non-superscalar, 250 MHz
MIPS processor with a tiny cache.

Cisco 12000 with the original GRP (I guess this is what the book is referring to) sees to have used a 200Mhz R5000 processor with 512KB L2 cache. The platform was released back in 1999 if I remember correctly.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/routers/12000-series-routers/40060-12000-boot-process-40060.html

cisco 12410/GRP (R5000) processor (revision 0x01) with 524288K bytes of memory.
R5000 CPU at 200Mhz, Implementation 35, Rev 2.1, 512KB L2 Cache

On modern intel based platforms today, SPF calculations typically take a few milliseconds, even though the networks have grown larger.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se