On 09/08/2015 09:04, Geoff Thompson wrote:

>> The success of the (reasonably well layered) TCP/IP suite would indicate
>> that the market has decided that this is a cost well worth paying.
>
> Precisely my point, except that it is not true.  The datagram service that
> was provided for with such "success" by TCP/IP does not provide the same
> service over all physical layers.  In fact the now predominant physical
> layers do not provide sufficiently low-jitter, low loss service for all
> legacy services to work well.

You mean, sufficient compared with 4800 baud modems over spotty analogue
phone lines, which were predominant when those legacy apps, right up
to HTTP/1.0, were invented?

What don't work well are *modern* services invented for broadband, in
the absence of anything accurately described as broadband.

But, yes, I hope the final list of requirements for the homenet routing
protocol includes: works adequately on lossy wireless media with poor
multicast support.

    Brian