On Thu, 26 Nov 2015, Ray Hunter (v6ops) wrote:

I have read this draft and find it interesting.

The use of host routes would seem appealing to avoid
1) any need for stateful "home agent" and multiple forwarding
2) renumbering of the end nodes when roaming
3) relatively small number of hosts compared to the complexity of the topology

Use of RFC7217 addresses would seem appropriate, but that assumes that DAD really is reliable at the time a node attaches to the homenet for the first time.

Wouldn't it be better to adopt https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-v6ops-host-addr-availability-02 and just give every device its own /64 and move that around?

My worry about the whole L3 approach is how long does it take to re-establish packet flows after the L2 wifi handover between APs compared to an L2 only solution?

What's the benefit/downside of this approach compared to having roaming nodes actively take part in the HNCP acting as "multi-homed routers" with an internal (invariant) /64 VLAN used to bind to applications?

I'd say this approach adds one more layer that needs to come up before packets can start flowing again, especially since it would require routing protocol participation as well, I'd imagine.

If 802.11 can assure L2 handover in 1 second (I don't know how long the handover time is, just guessing), how much are we willing to add in time because of L3 mechanisms added on top of this, before packet flows are up and running again?

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swm...@swm.pp.se