> > He and I had a
> >long discussion on this attribute many years ago. His theory was that
> >the valve rotor should turn with the air flow when the valve lever is
> >depressed, and that horns where the wind passage is in the opposite
> >direction to the direction of the valve rotor causes an interruption in
> >the smoothness of the air flow.

I have never regarded the direction of airflow between sides as all that
significant. There are larger influences from variations in the tapered
parts, so that probably explains why I find Alex 103's a little smoother
than Paxman 20's with valve changes, even though theory would suggest that
the Paxman valve system should result in smoother changes!

Geyer vs. Kruspe wraps is a pretty pointless discussion really, as good
examples of both will be found.

Cheers,

Graeme Evans
(Principal Horn, Melbourne Symphony Orchestra)
+61 3 9318 0690(H), +61 419 880371(B), +61 3 93180893(Fax)
E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]