> Alan Civil used to do it on his Alex Model 90 Bb single.

I've no doubt that he could...

***
> One nice example was at the IHS workshop in 1978 at East
> Lansing. (Concertstuck with wind ensemble) accompaniment

I was there on the front row. That one was memorable for two reasons:

1) a guy in the euphonium section thought HE was the soloist (can you say
"tasteless?" If you were there, you could!), and:

2) Alan almost shredded Michael Holtzel off  the conductor's podium with the
first of those high E's. Holtzel was securely belted and ready for the
second one.

Speaking of being belted, wasn't that the Concertstuck that was preceded by
a uniformed waitress strolling in with glasses of "fortifying" wine for the
quartet? Sort of a "we who are about to die, salute you" effect.

However, though he'd played his normal Alex single Bb all that week, Alan
was playing a borrowed Alex descant in Bb-High F for the Schumann.
Discretion being the better part of valor, I suppose.

He borrowed it from someone in the audience, but I can't recall who that
was.

jrc in SC