> From:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
du] On Behalf Of Paul Mansur
Sent: Monday, December 20, 2004 1:59 PM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] Holton Farkas MC mouthpiece - OK for adult beginner?

On Sunday, December 19, 2004, at 10:27 PM, Steve Freides wrote:

> Am I OK to use the Holton?  Is it some "special purpose" mouthpiece or
> is it OK for me at this early stage of my development?

Generally, a little larger mouthpiece will yield a little fatter tone
on a horn.  A small mouthpiece yield a bit too much "Flutiness", I'll
call it.  The Farkas MDC is nearer the original Farkas style
mouthpiece.  I do not care for the Conn mouthpiece that comes with an
8D.  It seems to me to be intended for weak student embouchures and
does not have the capacity to make the horn sound full and rich.
That's my two cents worth on the subject.  I use an old Geyer pattern
he made for me in 1948.  Now, after having that one stolen, I use
copies of that one rather than the original.

Paul Mansur