There are several different kinds of lacquer that respond differently to
efforts to remove them.  There used to be warnings in the owner's manual in
the old days not to wash the horn with water that was too hot because the
lacquer would peel off.  I've heard tales from others that it happened to
them but I
was never priveleged to witness it myself.  That was the old style cellulose
based lacquer.<<<<<

Steve and list,
   I have had the privilege of seeing cellulose lacquer mixed with hot
water.  I was cleaning up my 1934 Conn in a tub of hot water and the lacquer
just came right off.  Some turned a little gummy and stayed on the horn till
I washed it off with a hose, most of it just came off in small sheets and
floated on the hot water.

LLB