From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of carol everson
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 12:42 AM
To: horn@music.memphis.edu
Subject: [Hornlist] lacquer removal in a performance
setting.

It was my pleasure recently to take part in a military
Tattoo in Bermuda to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the
discovery of the Island. A great occasion, and of course it
took place outdoors. As the massed bands started into 1812
Overture, the sky opened and warm salt rain came down with
such torrential  force that everyone was drenched as you can
only get drenched in the Caribbean. The downpour continued
while we played for the next hour. I did my best to wipe
down my horn, but the next day my case was full of
'snowflakes', plus patches of rust and blue discolouration
inside the bell. This is an environment where mold and damp
predominate, and we often have very high humidity.
Any ideas on how I can restore the appearance of the
instrument, please? No competent technicians around.
However, one way of de-lacquering a horn appears to be: come
to Bermuda and stand in the rain.