Daniel Canarutto wrote:
I don't think I need this, but just out of curiosity I checked the Merriam-Webster website, which gives also the (American English?) prononciation of the words. "Hup" is actually there, so even if you are not American you can follow Mr. Sanner's instructions...

How differently is this word pronounced to speakers with a more British approach?

Honestly, the Merriam-Webster pronouncer (the one you can click and listen to) seems to exhibit an awful lot of the Northern Cities Shift to my American ears. Her vowel sounds too high and flat--somewhere between "hap" and "hop." Mine is lower and more rounded. The pronouncer for the word "cup" uses the vowel I'd use in "hup."

Greg