Hello -
        On a recent band trip to New York, one of our trombonists
managed to carry her trombone (in the standard (large) brown Bach
trombone case) onto the airplane!  That case is about 36 inches by 12
inches by 10 inches (very rough estimates)!  None of the check in
personel, flight attendants, etc. made any comment about it, though it
probabally helped that that was all that she was carrying on. It fit in
the overhead bin fine, and there was space to stash plenty of flutes,
clarinets, etc. around it.  I can't remember what type of plane we
flew, but the airline was Jet Blue.
Ben

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 14:36:28 +0200 "Hans.Pizka"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The dimensions for the on-boad-case are regulated
> internationally. They are 22 x 16 x 8 inches or 55 x 40 x 20
> cms. If the flat case fits into this more or less (bit
> thicker but also shorter e.g.), nobody might expect any<
> problem. Non cut bell cases , well, it depends on the
> tolerance of the check-in personal.

Benjamin Reidhead
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Poudre School District, Ft. Collins, Co.

"No opera plot can be sensible,
for people do not sing when
they are feeling sensible."

W. H. Auden (1907 - 1973)