I think if you will re-read all of the message for LT in full you'll note
his comment you cited were meant tongue-in-cheek (Bill Gross).

Bill, LT's intended meaning is not what prompted the response, but his actual text: the myth that Wagner wrote the Siegfried Call for Franz Strauss is an ingrained one that keeps on turning up on all sorts of forums. If a future horn student does a Google search for Wagner and Franz Strauss they could well end up with LT's comment, and the tongue in cheek aspect won't necessarily be understood. Hans and I tossed in amendments so that they might also be on the record. Some of us value the hornlist for a chance to air opinions or feelings that cross our minds. This is a fine thing. I value it for the verifiable facts that increase my knowledge of the instrument. Also a fine thing.

Bill Melton
Hauset (B) / Sinfonie Orchester Aachen (D)