> No question that Mahler and Strauss and others were cribbed
> by Hollywood composers - think of the original Star Trek
> theme (straight out of the first movement of Mahler's 7th),

There's a short passage in the first movement of Mahler 6 (just after
rehearsal mark 33) that sounds like the inspiration for every bit of movie
music ever written by John Williams.

And I thought that the first few bars of the last movement of Mahler 6
(celeste, harp, strings) could have been used absolutely unmodified to
accompany the first sight of Hogwarts School :-)

Regards
Jonathan West