> An orchestra over here was denied permission to perform the 1812
> Overture
> because the hall's health and safety officer was concerned that
> the cannon
> effects might precipitate heart attacks in the audience.

I remember a story my parents once told me of a performance of 1812 they
played in about 40 years ago, in Brent Town Hall in London. Cannon and
mortar effects were banned as a result of a local bye-law prohibiting
explosive materials inside the building.

A microphone for the PA system was placed inside one of the timps instead!

Regards
Jonathan West