And the publishers, who published this kind of music ? They
invested a lot to get it engraved. You are right, most of
these pieces are now public domain, but just the original &
you do not have to pay royalties to the composers. But the
printed music is not public domain as long as the publishing
company exists. This makes a big difference. There are also
the rights of the editors, whih must be respected.

If you get access to the originals from the libraries & if
you edit them (make clear text), you would allow free public
circulation ? Would you do this as a public service. I
doubt.

The original scores may be accessible free of charge, but
not parts as they are not written by the composer but by the
publishers or on order for the publisher who still owns the
publisher rights.

And why not buying these very low priced Dover scores & get
the parts written out by yourself. We did that in the past.
It is not a violation of any rights if you do this for study
purpose, but you have a great benefit, getting the things
into your brain without any extra effort just by writing
them out.

===