Steve Freides wrote:
My son ... got a plastic Berp at his teacher's request, but his
teacher said the berp he wants my son to use is made of metal.

The BERP folks discontinued the metal ones several years ago. The plastic versions were the "new, improved" model. The idea was that the plastic BERP clamps onto the leadpipe so you don't have to keeping removing it like you had to with the metal one--you just move the mouthpiece half an inch between leadpipe and BERP. Also, the plastic BERP has a little resistance adjustment ring.

The old metal BERPs definitely feel and sound a bit different from the new ones and I've met folks who prefer the old ones to the new ones. You might find someone selling an old metal one online. Or, as others have mentioned, there are a few other makers producing BERP-like devices that resemble the old model.

Greg