I want to publicly thank those, including John Dutton, for pointing me in
the direction of Doug's article. It is long (though its length is
appropriate to its scope), thoughtful and I find that I don't feel
completely in sync with all that he brings into the discussion (religion,
in particular). For all of these reasons, including my discomfort with some
of his premises, I consider it essential reading. I knew him only slightly
in the four years that we played together in the Goldman Band and had
visited his website at a time predating this addition to it, so reading it
comes as somewhat of a revelation.

It may take a half hour to absorb initially (and probably much longer to
digest) but it pleases me to imagine the upgrade in the level of
communication and sharing that would result (and I am not limiting this to
the hornlist) if we all dropped what we were doing and took the time to
enter Doug Yeo's frame of mind.

Peter Hirsch