This whole thread is amusing in what it reveals of the poster's attitudes
and I won't attempt to compound or rebut any specific post other than to
echo Debbie by saying we've all "been there, done that" on some level when
things just did not come together the way they were supposed to for
whatever reason.

To add on and redirect the thread a bit - I had the odd experience of first
hearing the Dvorak finale over the local NPR station and then seeing it a
few minutes later on TV. I don't know why they weren't simulcast but
instead the video had a 10 or 15 minute lag from the radio. What was
interesting was that, as the "big moment" in the last movement approached,
my wife (a hornplayer, too) and stopped chatting and focussed on the music
coming from the radio - da, dah, dat-deeee, dah da doo daah -  flawless,
plain as day and just as I've seen it in Pottag and on the stand in the
orchestra for 40 plus years, note for note. My wife said "easy for him to
say!" and then I decided to see what was happening on TV. A few minutes
elapsed and I get to see what was clearly a total misfire; visible and
audible. Nice editing job by  NPR and kudos to the television crew for
"keeping it real". At the end of the broadcast, I saw a fund-raising promo
offering a commemorative DVD of the concert. I wonder which version will
prevail.

As far as who was where in the section, I was a little confused. I have to
say that I only saw the Dvorak and not the rest of the performance which
might have made things clearer as to who was filling in as associate and
who were on third and assistant. What was clear was that Phil played lead,
Allen Spanjer and Howard Wall were the low horns. I don't think it was Eric
Ralske assisting (though I could be wrong on this) and I have no idea if
the tall, lantern-jawed third horn was the new assistant  - Thomas Jöstlein
(I just checked the orchestra's web-site and it definitely appears to be
him, so I take what I just wrote back). My guess, since I didn't see the
rest, is that Ralske played principal on at least some of the other works
and the bearded assistant (I only counted 5 horns, though there may have
been six involved over the course of the concert) a sub since they have
been down a player since Jerry Ashby died in December. Maybe another NY
area freelancer (how about it, Debbie?) knows the identity of the mystery
man.

Cheers to all,

Peter Hirsch