Daniel says:

"As an experienced amateur player, I'd say that your
suggestions are quite reasonable.

But I could never realize how conducting can actually be
fun."

*********

I too agree with the most excellent list of suggestions for conducting.

I would explain the appeal of conducting this way: some like to work on cars in
their garages, some like to admire cars on the road or in museums. Some enjoy
casual safe driving with other cars while some enjoy the thrill of getting
behind the wheel and seeing what a car can do.

I enjoy the horn for many reasons (this week it is the slow movement of the
Dvorak cello concerto!!).  I enjoy conducting because part of me wants to
understand how all the parts fit together. When I conduct I definitely get to
know a piece better. And, I admit it is a huge ego trip. I don't enjoy being
bossy or having to push weaker players to improve. But finding things to praise
is hugely rewarding, as is finding the right thing to say in a few words that
makes the piece go better.

Choosing programs and exploring lesser known or new music is really cool (I am
currently directing Haydn's Symphony 26, and a concerto by Charles Avison that
I Finale'd from a microfilm of the original 1758 edition). My largest audience
(as conductor) to date was about 6000 (x4 nights) and it was huge adrenaline
rush to be "on."  Talk about "selling your skin" as Hans says.

Hope this help explain, Daniel.

Steve