On 02/04/2008, hans <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Conducting is really fun if you get the desired result. If
>  you dont get it, conducting might be a burden instead. But
>  it is all up to you.

I agree. Of course, you have to make a reasonable target for your
definition of "the desired result". If my definition is getting a
bunch of amateurs to sound like the Berlin Phil, then I'm going to be
disappointed. But getting them to sound as as good as they can
reasonably achieve and enjoy playing in the process is an entirely
reasonable objective. After that, it is a matter of getting the
confidence of the players. I know well from playing in orchestras that
the players very rapidly form first impressions (i.e. from the first
up-beat) as to whether the conductor is any good, and if you make a
bad first impression, then it is very hard work to recover.

>  Some people might not have the personal
>  dynamic to be a conductor. Conducting requires a leader
>  personality absolutely, The better you know a piece, the
>  easier as you can predict how it will continue.

Last week, I conducted pieces that don't change speed or time
signature very often. It's much easier for a novice conductor like
myself to cope with such pieces! Also I knew both pieces pretty well,
one from having spent a lot of time making the arrangement, the other
from having played it many times.

Regards
Jonathan West