Flying back from undergraduate auditions this spring, my horn was spirited
away by an attendant who successively referred to it as a cello, trumpet,
oboe, and piccolo before asking what it was actually called. I found out
later that it had actually gotten to ride in the cockpit with the captain,
(I would have gladly have traded places with it!) because the captain was a
father, with two children in high school band, who sympathized with
my anxiety over the horn.

When he personally returned my horn at the end of the flight, he imparted
the following advice: "Bribe the captain and crew with Starbucks. It'll
work: I guarantee it."

I haven't had a chance to try his advice, but I thought one of the more
frequent flyers on the hornlist might benefit from the kindly captain's
advice.

-KM