Glad to say, I was on vacation for nearly a month and did not go near a
computer or other email-equipped device during that span, so I did not have
to experience this discussion in real time. I did, however read the article
on the day it was published (believe it or not, you can get the NY Times at
the general store on an island 10 miles off the coast of Maine, but have to
pay a premium price for it) and anticipated the brouhaha that it would
unleash. I won't go into what I thought, thereby re-igniting the thread,
other than to say that the direct personal references to Phil Myers and
Dave Jolley were pretty bush league, not to mention pretty inaccurate (I
was sitting in the front row at the first performance of the 92nd Street Y
concert and Dave did have some difficulty with the Adagio and Allegro - and
it still was a musically inspiring concert when considered as a whole).

What I did want to toss in was that it was Lester Salomon that lost his gig
at the Met due to messing up the second horn part in Fidelio. I have heard
various versions of this tale, including directly from the late Lester
Salomon himself and I am not sure about the lawsuit part from my any of my
recollections but Lester did lose his job. Maybe it was someone else that
was named in the review or maybe it was an entirely different incident
(after all, we are talking about Fidelio, which gets played a lot and
generally gives a lot of agita to the horns, here)

Any other old timers on the list have a clearer picture on this? I will dig
around the NY Times archives to see if I can dig any old skeletons up.

Peter Hirsch