I don't suppose anyone out there knows
more about any of these hornists of old (with Hans having a good long soak in Indo-China, I guess I may have to wait for enlightenment in this area).

Peter, I've let a little time go by to allow Prof. Pizka to respond to the question, but in his absence I'll start the ball rolling with one of the stars of your little group.

Paul Rembt was born in the town of Markbreit, in Franconia on the river Main, on Feb. 7, 1875 (eleven years after the psychiatrist Alois Alzheimer, of presenile dementia fame, was born there). Rembt studied with the noted hornist Josef Lindner in Wuerzburg, less than 20 miles to the northwest of his hometown. In 1894 he won a post with the Guerzenich Orchester in Cologne. His music director was Franz Wuellner, and old hand who had studied with Beethoven's pupil and companion Anton Schindler and had previously held conducting posts in Aachen and Munich (where Wüllner led the world premieres of Rheingold and Walkuere). Rembt played a number of world premieres during his Cologne decade, the most important being Richard Strauss' Till Eulenspiegel and Don Quixote (the first hornist at those premieres was Ernst Ketz).

1904 brought Rembt an engagement as solo hornist with the orchestra of the Berlin Royal Opera. The Hofkapellmeister of the opera was none other than Richard Strauss (he would receive the powerful Generalmusikdirektor title in 1908). Rembt was also called to play in Bayreuth beginning in 1906, and would return there, sometimes as soloist on the Siegfried Call, in 1908, 1909, 1911, 1912, 1914, 1927 & 1931.

The MacMillan Encyclopaedia entry on Rembt has him still alive and kicking in 1938, but I haven't come across Rembt's retirement or death date (if you want to pursue it, the former could probably be deduced by looking through volumes of the Deutsches Buehnen Jahrbuch around Remdt's 65th birthday and the latter may be obtainable in a Festschrift issued for one of the Staatsoper Berlin's round-numbered anniversaries).

Rembt's artistic legacy? As he was the horn instructor of the Berlin Hochschule fuer Musik, it's not surprising that he published etudes and volumes of Strauss excerpts for horn (Mainz: Fürstner, 1912) that were reprinted multiple times over the century and are still available today. But he was a more well-rounded musician than most, serving as piano accompanist/coach at the Hochschule and in concert and acting as chief conductor of the amateur Berliner Orchestervereinigung (Sergiu Celibidache would later hold the same position). Robert Kahn, a compositional colleague at the Hochschule, dedicated the horn part of his lovely Serenade, Op. 73 for oboe, horn and piano (1923) to Rembt. And one of Paul Rembt's prize pupils at the Hochschule was none other than Berlin-born Horst Salomon, who after escaping Germany c. 1936 would become the first hornist of the newly founded Palestine Symphony Orchestra.

Bill Melton
Hauset (B) / Sinfonie Orchester Aachen (D)