I can only speak for myself in this.  You have taken a shot at them.  They
aren't in a position to respond.  It's a one sided thing. We just have your
version

-----Original Message-----
From: horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu] On Behalf Of Bear
Woodson
Sent: Saturday, February 07, 2009 12:22 PM
To: Horn List
Subject: [Hornlist] White House Marine Band

> message: 5
> date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:36:04 -0600
> from: William Gross <william.s.gr...@gmail.com>
> subject: Re: [Hornlist] In-Dog-uration
>
> Yes, but how much is there in the repitoire of Bartok,
> Starvinski et. al for Military Band?
>
> If that catalog were extensive you might stand on
> firmer ground.

    Before I had direct dealings with the White House Marine
Band, I thought they were limited to only having Brass Band
and Percussion Instruments for outdoor performances. That
stopped being true long ago, I think since the early 20th
Century. They have a Pool of about 120 security-checked
string, wind, percussion, harp, and keyboard players, so that
they can accommodate any classical symphonic work. (I was
told that they play a number of works for Baroque Orchestra,
using Chamber String Players and Harpsichord.) For works
requiring a much larger orchestra, they have an Extended
Pool of security-checked musicians.

    In the Summer of 2007, some members of the White House
Marine Band were considering premiering my Oboe Concerto.
I had sent them the completed First Movement in Orchestral C
Score and Piano Reduction, but their conductor balked when
he saw a Bartók-styled canonic phrase in the First and Second
Violins and Viole, in a passage for the Tutti without the Solo
Oboe.

    (That their conductor would chicken-out at that particular
Canon surprised me, as that passage was EASY compared to
the Canons and Fugues that show up later in the First Move-
ment. They never even saw the slow Second Movement which
is a Huge Triple Fugue, that turns the Three Fugue Subjects in
Inversion, and later in Retrograde, and also later in Retrograde-
Inversion, and ALL are in lovely Chromatic Modal Harmony! I
think that I, and my music, been Banned from the White House
permanently, even though I passed all of their security
requirements.)

    The last time I checked Bartók died over 60 years ago, there-
fore in my opinion ALL of Bartók's Performance Techniques
SHOULD be Common Knowledge to ALL "Professional"
Musicians by now. However as a Music Theorist, I am
PAINFULLY aware that Most 20th Century American Popular
Music (popular songs, musicals, etc.) are limited to:

a) one Key Signature,
b) Pre-1860-Tonal Harmony,
c) 4/4 Meter, and
d) too often only 5 chords OR LESS!

    I have been on many Musical Instrument Discussion Lists
in the last decade, but too often, I am either the only one, or
one of a very few, who finds these Limited Performance
Levels, common to many 'professional' Musical Orchestra
Players, to be Embarrassingly UNprofessional and downright
Childish, in some cases.

    I grew up in a family where my grandfathers and father
were all Officers in the US Navy for over 20 years, each. I
have always had great respect for Marines, and have close
friends who were Marines in Viet Nam. But those same
Marines were insulted and ashamed that these poorly-trained
White House weenies should Dare call themselves "Marines",
who quit before even trying! I share the disappointment by
Real Marines, to whom I say, "Semper Fi"!

    I think we all stand a better chance, of hearing the future
Presidential Puppy playing Horn with a good Embouchure,
than we do of ever hearing Yo-Yo Ma play the Cello Version
of the Bartók Viola Concerto accompanied by the White
House Marine Orchestra.

    Bear Woodson

Home: 520 - 881 - 2558
"Bear Woodson" <bearwood...@cox.net>