2009/3/18 Valerie WELLS <valleriewe...@msn.com>:

> I once played a piece that was Corno in B or Cor in B (not sure which).  As
> it turned out, it was really horn in B flat, down a perfect fifth -- what a
> relief!  I've now been given some parts of  Mendelsshon's Elias Oratorium,
> Erster Theil.  It's for Corno III, in B.  I hope this means horn in B flat
> (down a perfect fifth) rather than horn in B natural (down an diminished
> fifth).  Can anyone clarify this for me?  Please respond to one of my email
> addresses below.  I'm on digest & may not see the answer before the first
> rehearsal!

The German for Bb is B. The German for B is H. Mendelssohn was German.

You don't see parts for Horn in H very often. The only two pieces in
standard repertoire where I recall seeing horn in H is the second
movement of Brahms 2 (1st & 2nd horns) and a short passage in the 5th
movement of Schumann's Rhenish symphony, in the 3rd & 4th parts.

The first part of Elijah is definitely in the german B (i.e. in Bb)

Regards
Jonathan West