The 177 has a smaller bell throat and is considered to be a medium large horn,
where the 179 is the large horn and has a larger bell throat.

Walt Lewis
------Original Message------
From: Ashley Grothe
Sender: horn-bounces+lewhorn9=yahoo....@music.memphis.edu
To: Hornplayer net
ReplyTo: The Horn List
Subject: [Hornlist] Holtons
Sent: Mar 26, 2009 11:02 AM

My German teacher and I were conversing and I found out she plays horn. She
told me that a friend had given her a horn and she knew it was a Holton. We
determined it is a Holton 177. I play on a Holton 179. We looked the specs up
online and it does not seem to have any differances. Does anyone know what they
might be?

Thanks