2009/4/27  <ardee...@comcast.net>:

> One very good way for anyone to learn to read most of the transpositions
> available to hornists is to play the entire Marriage of Figaro opera. Once a
> horn player has done this over 12 times, it is highly possible that he/she
> will have almost forgotten how to read horn in F!

I recall a few years ago doing one of the Rehearsal Orchestra weekend
courses in London - they were running through the whole of Das
Rheingold (unstaged but with singers) over 2 weekends.

At that stage of Wagner's writing for the horn, he was mostly using
the valves as a quick way of changing crook. For the first weekend I
was playing 2nd, and there was a change of transposition every few
bars, often right in the middle of a phrase. I recall at one point
that there were 4 consecutive written Gs, each with a different
transposition written above it.

I have never been so exhausted after a weekend of music as on that
occasion. For the second weekend, I retreated to the relative safety
of one of the Wagner Tuba parts. It was a challenge getting used to
the unfamiliar instrument, but at least the transposition didn't
change as often!

Regards
Jonathan West