2009/8/14 wells123...@juno.com <wells123...@juno.com>:

> Am I making any sense here?  Have any of you had a similar experience?   Is
> there a strategy I can employ to avoid that sort of disaster again?

Hi Valerie

This isn't an uncommon situation - the 2 pairs of horns quite often
get crooked in different keys either so that they can cover more notes
of the scale so that the 4 horns can play complex chord sequences
between them, or so that the second pair can take over when the key
modulates. Dvorak uses different crooks for both of these purposes in
his 6th symphony. The first movement has horns 1 & 2 in D, and horns 3
& 4 in E; the second movement has horns 1 & 2 in F with 3 & 4 in Bb
basso, 3rd movement 1 & 2 in F, 3 & 4 in D and 4th movement 1 & 2 in E
and 3 & 4 in D.

Also, if the piece is in a minor key, it is not uncommon for the horns
to be crooked in something other than the keynote of the piece. I just
played a concert last night on the Edinburgh Fringe which included the
Mozart C minor Serenade. The horns were in Eb.

As for dealing the confusion of not having the horn crooked in the
home key of the piece, there's no really easy way of handling it. All
you can do is make sure you do know what the key of the piece is and
adjust your mind accordingly. The hardest time I have had with that is
Brahms 3, which is in F but has the first two horns crooked in C
throughout. Playing 1st for that was a bit unsettling initially until
I worked out where I was relative to the key of the piece.

I don't know which Mendelssohn piece you were playing but both the
Scottish Symphony and the Overture Ruy Blas have the two pairs of
horns crooked in different keys like this.

The most extreme example that I know of where this happens is the
Berlioz Symphony Fantastique, where if I recall correctly at one point
all four horns are playing at the same time and each is crooked in a
different key.

Regards
Jonathan West