Hi Robert,

Yes this is a horn related site, and unfortunately health care issues sometimes
hit us horn pickers much more severely than in any other profession.  It takes
so little to affect our ability to continue to play at a professional level.
Little things that might in no way affect other areas of our life at all.

I recently attended the horn workshop held in Ithaca NY where the subject of
lip distonia was discussed at length.  Difficult to diagnose, almost imposable
to cure, and totally career ending.  Very little medical information available
in the health care profession.

Myself... thank goodness I am old enough to retire.... postural tremors.  Does
not affect any other aspect of my life.   You would not even know there was
anything wrong.  Took two years to diagnose, and then only by observation.   It
caused my earlier retirement.

I know of another much younger horn picker that this is causing the end of a
playing career.  Again not much the medical profession can do, and even more
important.  If it isn't life threatening or really debilitating in other areas
of life,  there is not a lot you can count on from the medical profession.

I do think the subject of health care as such should probably end now, but for
you youngsters out there,  the subject could be very important someday.

In the last ten years I have seen three trombone players in the BPO lose their
ability to play because of medical problems.

Sorry to go on guys.  Flame away.

Milton
Milton Kicklighter
4th horn BPO retired