I would point out wrt to practicing some horn players are far better than
others.  As was recently made evident.  As you noted to each his/her own,
and it my case some practice would be most beneficial.

-----Original Message-----
From: horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu
[mailto:horn-bounces+bgross=airmail....@music.memphis.edu] On Behalf Of
Carlberg Jones
Sent: Monday, August 24, 2009 6:37 AM
To: The Horn List
Subject: Re: [Hornlist] What I've learned in the past two days

At 9:46 AM -0500 8/21/09, William Gross wrote:
>1) If an wandering horn player his your town and asks, "anyone want to
>play duets" an important question to ask is "who is providing the music?"

True, and I could have brought tons of duets - on my computer. I don't
travel with duets due to space limitations. David Goldberg's idea of putting
some on a flash drive was excellent.

>2) Sight reading duets (for me) is harder than sight reading a lot of
>other stuff.  I don't know why, but it is.

With duets you're on the spot. I don't pay much attention to anything in
duets; it's just lots of fun playing with someone else!

>3)  If you think such an event may happen again, and you own some
>duets, spend some time practising them so you won't have to sight read
>the next time.

To each her own, of course, but it'll be a hot day in Michigan in January
that I'll practice duets.

>4)  It is a lot of fun and a neat way to meet other horn players.

My feeling exactly.

Also, regular duets are great for improving sight reading, technique and
endurance. There's pressure to keep going, but not enough to keep playing if
one of the players gets a bit tired.

--

Carlberg Jones
Skype - carlbergbmug