An Advisory Committee of members that represent other organizations sounds like 
a great idea.

Many of these networks exist informally, but OSM's real benefit I think has 
been worldwide access+focus & I really hope that continues to be a major 
priority in the selection of representative input.

The Board actually sounds like 'business-functionary' the way it has been 
described, mostly policy guidelines and the like. There are however, important 
decisions and directions that are made inadvertently when the 'inner circle' is 
meeting and things 'need to be done' out of a perception of time constraints. 
Without care, philosophical openness can be compromised, and the sense of 
community lost.

In addition to a more global demographic, I would like to see some very open 
process (dashboard?) created to allow at least the main priorities and 
direction of the board's thinking to always be visible. Even like a little 
vision statement coming out of their regular meetings that provides guidance 
until the next meeting would be helpful.

In terms of other communities.. wikimapia has an impressive crowd and the whole 
SBTF just found out that we will only deploy for "Natural Disasters" leaving 
quite a few people very interested to help in other ways.

Perhaps something like an "organizational API" can be brainstormed facilitating 
other groups to jump in more easily. I'm sure it would be trivial to include an 
RSS feed of the latest active projects over on the SBTF main Ning site. I have 
been trying to coordinate some similar type of collaboration with the wikimapia 
environment.

The biggest risk I see will be inadvertent ethnocentrism. It is worth taking 
fundamental steps to avoid this development IMO.

Steady on!  :)

Om
_______________________________________________
HOT mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot

Reply via email to