I am Xavier and for me it is quite hard to say where I come from. I spent some years in Africa when I was younger so I have still some connections with this continent. I discovered OPENSTREETMAP after the earthquake in Haiti, and begun to contribute in France. I live in Haiti for some years now, so I participate in some activities. I was in Cap—Haitian hot project as a trainer. I think OPENSTREETMAP is one of the nice initiatives we have to have a better world, like Wikipedia… I like the possibility to work each day in different manner (translator, programmer, photographer, teacher…) OPENSTREETMAP help me to find a job in cartography, gave me the chance to meet a lot of nice guys, improving myself and help people even if I am far away from them.
Xavier On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 7:44 AM, Mikel Maron <[email protected]> wrote: > Wonderful to read about all your HOT stories ... Inspiring! Welcome to HOT. > > My HOT story, well I have lots. OpenStreetMap will be ten years old this > year, and the seeds of HOT date to not long after. Witnessing the awful > tragedies of Hurricane Katrina and the Southeast Asian Tsunami, and being > able to do nothing to help, deeply affected me. Back in 2005, I started > investigating a crazy idea on top of a crazy idea ... using a free and open > map of the entire world (which back then, was hardly the world and hardly > functioned at all) to create map data for disasters. At best, professional > humanitarians were intrigued and listened, but most thought HOT a bonkers > idea. For our growing ranks, it took years of advocacy and discussion with > smart people and learning and stubbornness. Amazing where we are now. > > I started collecting some of the main points of early HOT history on the > wiki. Some videos, presentations, and blog posts there from HOT's early > days. > http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Humanitarian_OSM_Team/History > > Here's a little profile of me > > http://hot.openstreetmap.org/updates/2012-12-18_faces_of_hot_mikel_maron_hot_founder_and_president > > > I'm looking forward to the new member orientations. If you'd like to get > started understanding some of the basics of how HOT memberships works, take > a read through the HOT Code. > > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Lo7o9YuOCdH94XCFcK-HsH5Ja4fPnpVl7GioKg_4Ht8/edit# > > One point in particular is "At the end of each membership year, members > will be asked to document their contributions to HOT over the past year, > and their aspirations for the next.". I went a bit deeper in a Diary post > on this past year in particular. My HOT Year > http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/mikelmaron/diary/20956 > > And if you ever have any thing you want to talk about, please get in > touch, my inbox is always open. Welcome again! > -Mikel > > * Mikel Maron * +14152835207 @mikel s:mikelmaron > > > On Wednesday, February 5, 2014 8:37 PM, Rafael Avila Coya < > [email protected]> wrote: > > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- > Hash: SHA1 > > Hi: > > Thank you all for counting with me on board! I'm very thankfull for > it, and also a bit overwhelmed by the responsability! > > My name is Rafael Ávila Coya, and I am 46. I'm from Galicia, Spain ( > http://osm.org/go/b9L8kE- ) and I've been IT teacher in several public > secondary schools of my region for the last 16 years. > > In 1999 I discovered Linux and Free Software, and I've been advocating > for Free Knowledge ever since, teaching other teachers and > (continuously my) students the advantage of contributing to and > sharing knowledge with the community, giving talks here and there, and > translating different apps into Spanish and into our regional > language: Galician. > > I discovered OpenStreetMap one day of May 2009, while I was conducting > an activity in my school for which we needed a free map. That day I > finally found the project I love the most in my life! > > I heard about the Haiti mapping in 2010 and I was so amazed by the > quick response, that I wrote a blog post ( > http://ravila.livejournal.com/30459.html ) about that. Unfortunately, > that time I still didn't know anything about (Yahoo) imagery, so I > didn't know how to help :( > > I think I heard about HOT shortly before my first SoTM in Denver 2011. > There, I met Jaakko (by chance in the bus from the airport, quite > funny!), who told me about his activities in Haiti, and I attended to > some talks of HOT people, like Kate Chapman. My first mapping for HOT > came shortly after, for a cyclone simulation in Samoa in December that > year ( http://tasks.hotosm.org/job/17 ). Since that one, I mapped a > lot for many actions of HOT through the HOT TM: RDC (Walikale, Uvira, > Minova, Kitchanga...), Central African Rep., Ethiopia, Philippines, > Siria, Mali... ( > > http://yosmhm.neis-one.org/?edvac=&zoom=3⪫=19.87384&lon=74.76416&layers=B0T&u=edvac<http://yosmhm.neis-one.org/?edvac=&zoom=3&lat=19.87384&lon=74.76416&layers=B0T&u=edvac> > > ). That's, by far, my biggest contribution to HOT up to now. > > In sept. 2012, just before the Tokyo SoTM, I had the opportunity > (thanks again, Kate! ;) ) to participate in a HOT visit and workshop > of 2 days to two towns heavily destroyed by the 2011 tsunami (Otsuchi > and Kamaishi) in the NE of Japan, where I met other hotties like > Hameed Tasal and Katie Filbert. > > And last year, during the SoTM 2013 in Birmingham, I met other members > of HOT in the HOT house, like Séverin Menard and Harry Wood. It was > quite challenging, as Internet was kind of hit and miss, but I could > manage to translate the Export tool into Spanish ;) > > Last October I left my job for a few years, so I am now free to move > anywhere to contribute in whatever I may be of any help. At this time, > I am actively involved as volunteer giving my support for a European > Union Comenius project on OSM (it will last until June 2015), > involving 4 different schools from the UK, Germany, Romania and Spain. > One of the activities we are carrying out at this very moment is the > translation by students of the LearnOSM guide into Spanish and, > hopefully, into Romanian and German as well. > > Apart from mapping, I can contribute to documentation and translation, > and to continue to give my opinions through the mailing list and the > IRC HOT channel. My highest priority now is to learn GIS tools, like > QGIS and, maybe, InaSafe. > > I have already some ideas for the inmediate future, but I will leave > them for another posts ;) > > I really like the words from Heather Leason, that I make mine too: > > <<I firmly believe that every interaction (every contribution, every > edit) is a gift. With each action, you build the community and make > HOT even better.>> > > Cheers, > > Rafael Ávila Coya. > > On 05/02/14 10:11, Stéphane Henriod wrote: > > Hi all > > > > my turn to jump on the stage :-) > > > > I am Stéphane, from Switzerland, geographer and GIS advocate. I am > > currently leading the GIS activities of the Swiss Federal > > Statistical Office but, prior to that, I have spent about 2.5 years > > in Central Asia (mainly in Tajikistan and more marginally in the > > neighboring countries) implementing GIS projects in a wide variety > > of fields (irrigation, tourism, Wildlife and Forestry management, > > disaster risk management...). I have always tried to promote > > open-source software, for many reasons that I obviously don't need > > to explain to the folks on this list! > > > > I came to know OSM in 2010 after the Haiti earthquake but it's not > > until late 2011 that I have actually started being somewhat active. > > Central Asia is what I like to call a /data-poor /environment, > > where acurate and up-to-date spatial data is either non-existent or > > not easily available. OSM quickly appeared to me like an obvious > > solution to all the data-related challenges I (and others) have > > been facing in the region. I have been ever since trying to > > advocate and sell the OSM concepts and tools to various development > > and humanitarian actors there. > > > > In 2012 I have been a founding member of the SOSM, Swiss > > OpenStreetMap association and have been a HOT field coordinator for > > the EUROSHA project in Kenya and Burundi. > > > > If you want to know more about my mapping: > > http://yosmhm.neis-one.org/?shenriod and > > http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?shenriod > > > > I look forward to working more closely with all of you to make the > > world an open map! > > > > Cheers > > > > Stéphane > > > > > > > > > > -- "Le mot progrès n'aura aucun sens tant qu'il y aura des enfants > > malheureux" -- Albert Einstein > > > > "Si les contacts avec les étrangers lui étaient permis, [le > > citoyen ordinaire] découvrirait que ce sont des créatures > > semblables à lui-même et que la plus grande partie de ce qu'on lui > > a raconté d'eux est fausse. Le monde fermé, scellé, dans lequel il > > vit, serait brisé, et la crainte, la haine, la certitude de son bon > > droit, desquelles dépend sa morale, pourraient disparaître" -- > > George Orwell ("1984") > > > > Photos de voyages, photos de montagne: http://www.henriod.info > > <http://www.henriod.info/> > > > > > > 2014-02-03 Jaakko Helleranta.com <[email protected] > > <mailto:[email protected]>>: > > > > Dear all new HOT voting members, FYI all "old" voting members & > > the HOT community at large, > > > > I'm happy to announce that the nominations of and elections for > > new HOT voting members have resulted in 18 new voting members for > > HOT! Welcome all! The new voting members list is below. > > > > We'll be arranging (first ever) orientations to the new voting > > members in the next two weeks to make sure that everyone knows > > what (all things) HOT is, how the organization operates and what is > > the role of voting members. E.g. we'll be electing a Chair (person) > > for the organization and a new board in the coming weeks. But > > we'll contact you separately on all this. .. Should there be "old" > > voting members who'd like to pitch in to preparing / doing the > > orientations, please get in contact. > > > > So, again, welcome all! And thanks to Boris and Kate for making > > the nomination/election process happen. > > > > If you want you're most welcome to reply with a blurb about you > > and how you got/are involved with HOT, your HOT story, if you may. > > I wrote mine at the bottom for a sort of an example. In fact, > > thinking about it, I think it wouldn't be a bad thing is also some > > (other) old members also feel inclined to write their HOT story. > > Good to know who's who in this zoo and where are people coming from > > :) . Perhaps we could even post these stories someone online - > > under an About us section at our website? Just a thought.. > > > > But now: The new voting members of HOT! > > > > *New voting member* Amadou Ndong Andrew Buck Augustin Doury Awa > > Laye Dia Bass Thiam Claire Halleux Dale Kunce Emir Hartato > > François-Xavier Lamure Tardieu Jorieke Vynche Maning Sambale Rafael > > Ávila Coya Russell Deffner Sam Larsen Samuel Paul Alce Stéphane > > Henriod Will Skora Yohan Boniface > > > > > > That is quite an impressive list, eih!? > > > > My "HOT story": Originally from Finland, moved to the US (DC) over > > 10 years ago. I got involved with HOT during the Haiti earth quake > > of 2010 and when I lived in Haiti for 3 years. I've done most of my > > mapping <http://hdyc.neis-one.org/?jaakkoh> in Haiti and Dominican > > Republic and I've worked in the field with HOT (in Haiti) and > > pitched into developing some new projects for HOT. Currently living > > in Nicaragua trying to learn Spanish and getting engaged with the > > local mapping community (http://mapanica.net). HOT is hot because I > > think that (it's obvious by now that) Open(Street)Mapping can have > > a huge positive impact in humanitarian work and making (economic) > > development work better. http://osm.org/user/jaakkoh & > > http://about.me/jaakkoh > > > > What's your HOT story? > > > > With welcoming regards, -Jaakko > > > > -- [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]> * Skype: > > jhelleranta * Mobile: +505-8845-3391 (Nicaragua) * Voice(mail) / > > SMS / What's app: +1-202-730-9778 <tel:%2B1-202-730-9778> * > > > http://about.me/jaakkoh > > > > > > > - -- > Twitter: http://twitter.com/ravilacoya > > - -------------------------------- > > Por favor, non me envíe documentos con extensións .doc, .docx, .xls, > .xlsx, .ppt, .pptx, aínda podendoo facer, non os abro. > > Atendendo á lexislación vixente, empregue formatos estándares e abertos. > > http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenDocument#Tipos_de_ficheros > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- > Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (GNU/Linux) > Comment: Using GnuPG with undefined - http://www.enigmail.net/ > > iQIcBAEBAgAGBQJS8udGAAoJEB3niTly2pPQhhsQAKV9M3cyoFE32VNN1BZKWScc > IqokOcq3vlPFQWXxKEsK7bGttfDEyKa066nZpJphWFr/c3N8dJ9dJUY5ODH9kAQk > MnEQtW7IBrnrAcB52NsMVF+W+5cg1GYmwjCattIgBtuGJauI8fdpGtA+B6NFyIbQ > Uk13qDtPgOxgJPrSVWmudjIk6TEJSWJ1Kyjax74ulJF704CQ6BsY1swK52T97eU1 > uhHDDD9IHUTwlbsC35M0lXPmyoa5msHgzKap4y0Zvw0srHbju+oalxPxeiQMscVU > 3vRjvYZ4t9gZxipEJze2RK9nyjP8H+GfjlUKYn0XrkWM0ARh+bTw39Uk8CkHVh9p > a2BBmIBAz2H8ew0B3z7iLBT436LkWUWkyRPmkruraWWqwGxw67GINl8CNZl852mD > D3SyZsJwuCNLX+JNRjSYQ+hLHsyiGJu3dTIMyareBvgLIbU+sePKm0cv2ta0oW/w > 5LBfljXOrQj9qHfCBHsP4JhOeNEtgH+y5viFWC0OnZ5Ddyy1vHPR1mfqvFDsjdTP > J+QymGon2IyuHx4s2jv04l5JGDdLDoiDDXi+ZooieSQjpEyfYX0uXJakbVKp6dgA > QZJay/alsUNuCUL6NftxJ8AGTzrnRkccJOknx71sZ+gqMlsuSah+Q9ra5WDQ7HfF > U5bPzhaNJDrfwu+JptFB > =o731 > -----END PGP SIGNATURE----- > > > >
_______________________________________________ HOT mailing list [email protected] https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/hot
